Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

iron block for boost.....6 bolts per cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iron block for boost.....6 bolts per cylinder

i know the LSX block is the one to use, but can a 6.0L iron block be drilled to have extra bolt holes to accomodate ETP 6 bolt heads?

Was going to buy an iron LSX blocked 408ci from Weber but they don't have any LSX iron blocks.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:21 PM
9 Second Club

I think they have to weld extra tabs on the block. Kurt from W2W did this I think. In my opinion unless your looking to make 1000+ you dont need 6 bolts per cylinder!
Old 02-03-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

O-ring the heads, receiver groove the block, and run 1/2" studs. Thats good for 1200+ hp, no worries. Welding tabs to a cast block is not a permanent fix.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
O-ring the heads, receiver groove the block, and run 1/2" studs. Thats good for 1200+ hp, no worries. Welding tabs to a cast block is not a permanent fix.

408ci or a 427ci with an S91 will be ok? should be over 1,200 RWHP.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by needadvice
408ci or a 427ci with an S91 will be ok? should be over 1,200 RWHP.
you will have more money in the block than if you went with a aftermarket 6-bolt block to begin with.There is alot to converting a 4 bolt block to a 6 bolt setup..
Old 02-04-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sr71bbjr
you will have more money in the block than if you went with a aftermarket 6-bolt block to begin with.There is alot to converting a 4 bolt block to a 6 bolt setup..
which 6 bolt after market blocks are you referring to? The WarHawk is an amazing rip-off and its aluminum and the LSX GM iron block is hard to find. What else is there?

IRON.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which 6 bolt after market blocks are you referring to? The WarHawk is an amazing rip-off and its aluminum and the LSX GM iron block is hard to find. What else is there?

IRON.
There not that hard to find......... Quite a few sponsors sell them....

LSX Block ETP 6 bolt heads and the S91 should be fun...... If u push it, you will run out of turbo.....

Kyle
Old 02-04-2008, 01:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At this time the lsx block is a rare find,believe they may have stopped production for a short period
Old 02-04-2008, 01:45 PM
FormerVendor

IRON.
Why is the warhawk block an amazing ripoff?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
There not that hard to find......... Quite a few sponsors sell them....

LSX Block ETP 6 bolt heads and the S91 should be fun...... If u push it, you will run out of turbo.....

Kyle
what do you mean "run out of turbo"?

what turbo won't have that problem on a 408ci or 427ci?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
Why is the warhawk block an amazing ripoff?
i may be wrong, can;'t quite remember, but a friend said he priced it at like $6,000. Thats hilarious. Deep pocket sponsored race teams have the money, not people here.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:05 PM
FormerVendor

what do you mean "run out of turbo"?

what turbo won't have that problem on a 408ci or 427ci?

What Kyle is saying is that the s91 wont make enough boost to push the head gaskets out of an lsx 6 bolt block if done properly.you can def make 1200+ with the s91
i may be wrong, can;'t quite remember, but a friend said he priced it at like $6,000. Thats hilarious. Deep pocket sponsored race teams have the money, not people here.
the block is 4500 all day long,and just because it's out of your budget doesnt make it a ripoff,its well priced for what it is,and there are alot of people on this board than can and do buy them
Old 02-04-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What Kyle is saying is that the s91 wont make enough boost to push the head gaskets out of an lsx 6 bolt block if done properly.you can def make 1200+ with the s91
Oh, I see, thanks. So if a 101mm was used it would just be harder on the gaskets and it might push the gaskets.

What psi would the S91 need on a 408ci to make 1,200 RWHP on race gas?

the block is 4500 all day long,and just because it's out of your budget doesnt make it a ripoff,its well priced for what it is,and there are alot of people on this board than can and do buy them
I guess what I mean by rip-off is an LS1/2/6/7 aluminum block handles over 1,000 RWHP on given set-ups....so to pay that price for a Warhawk for absolutely no power gains is crazy. And from what I gather if you want a set-up to make 1,100+ RWHP you need to go iron if you want reliability. So even for the guy with alot of money I don't see the advantage of a Warhawk. But for 99% of the people here, its way too expensive for no power advantage and not much strength difference.

Who here has the Warhawk and what set-ups are they? Just curious.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:35 PM
FormerVendor

Oh, I see, thanks. So if a 101mm was used it would just be harder on the gaskets and it might push the gaskets.

What psi would the S91 need on a 408ci to make 1,200 RWHP on race gas?

I guess what I mean by rip-off is an LS1/2/6/7 aluminum block handles over 1,000 RWHP on given set-ups....so to pay that price for a Warhawk for absolutely no power gains is crazy. And from what I gather if you want a set-up to make 1,100+ RWHP you need to go iron if you want reliability. So even for the guy with alot of money I don't see the advantage of a Warhawk. But for 99% of the people here, its way too expensive for no power advantage and not much strength difference.

Who here has the Warhawk and what set-ups are they? Just curious.
1200 hp with an s91 can be made at about 30psi depending on the heads,cam and compression,yes the factory block will handle 1000hp with no problems,but the lsx block and warhawk take over where the factory block stop,as far as strenth the lsx blocks cylinders may be a little stronger keeping the rings sealed a little better but they will both handle the power with no problems-so it comes down to if you can afford the extra weight of the iron block-i know for myself,i'm going to be using the warhawk block.
I'm currently starting a build for a member on here using the warhawk block and heads,he is putting an f3 on it and i know EPP is doing a gto with one.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1200 hp with an s91 can be made at about 30psi depending on the heads,cam and compression,yes the factory block will handle 1000hp with no problems,but the lsx block and warhawk take over where the factory block stop,as far as strenth the lsx blocks cylinders may be a little stronger keeping the rings sealed a little better but they will both handle the power with no problems-so it comes down to if you can afford the extra weight of the iron block-i know for myself,i'm going to be using the warhawk block.
I'm currently starting a build for a member on here using the warhawk block and heads,he is putting an f3 on it and i know EPP is doing a gto with one.
didn't realize the Warhawk was that much stronger than the regular aluminum blocks.

How does it become stronger than the regular ones? Is the outer dimensions of the block bigger? Will it bolt rightinto the car using all factory LSx parts?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:44 PM
FormerVendor

the casting is alot thicker to start with,lots off added material in areas that are highly stressed on high hp applications,deck surface is much thicker,the sleeves are more robust and made from a much better material than stock,the warhawk block is heavier than a stock alum block but still much lighter than alum.and it will accept most factory accessories
Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Staging Lane

Ok so good 4 1200hp......what about stock the bottom end w 2 gt45's @ 10 psi making 537 hp.....No problems yet,,,But need money so will sell for than I invested and startover agian.....any recs.....I hear the pistons on the lq4 max @ about 550hp.....
Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SonnyG
Ok so good 4 1200hp......what about stock the bottom end w 2 gt45's @ 10 psi making 537 hp.....No problems yet,,,But need money so will sell for than I invested and startover agian.....any recs.....I hear the pistons on the lq4 max @ about 550hp.....
Congradulations, you have successfully hijacked the world supply of FI forum threads to ask a stupid question