Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will a oil cap breather get oil all over the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default will a oil cap breather get oil all over the motor?

I'm getting lot's of condensation inside the motor thinking it's created from short trips. seeing the condensation show up in my oil blowby catch can an my intake manifold fliter.

will a oil cap breather help the condensation issue?

will a oil cap breather get oil all over the motor because of the high compression of the LS1?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails will a oil cap breather get oil all over the motor?-condensation.jpg  
Old 02-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol why hasent anybody responded to your thread yet?? lol o and i also installed a filter like this after seeing yours! but i installed mine the correct way, but i still wasent sure bout that way so i opened up a thread just to make sure
Old 02-05-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Breathers are going to keep the oil in and let the pressure out but they can leak sometime.
But if your going to run a breather are you planing on getting rid of your PCV system?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To use a Breather or not has been debated many times and it will not stop.. I think you need to know why you want to use a breather in the 1st place. You also need to know what the correct application is and what equipment you need or don't need.

It can be debated on the following:
Un-meter air getting into the system.
To use with the PCV with a Catch Can.
Why you will need or not need a PCV system.

As far as the condensation, this is normal.. And the only solution is to complete the warm up cycle and drive the car for a lease 15+ min after normal engine (water and oil) temp have been reached. This short driving habit is bad for the engine and oil life. This is one reason that I don't drive my High Performance engine/cars as Daily Drivers. All Engines have condensation as cold metal and oil cool down, water is generated and collects in the engine, heating up the engine and oil will evaporates the water.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

I installed a huge catch can made of 1.1/2 inch PVC which is 10 inches long. it sits next to the radiator....

...anyway, it works so well, i never have any oil accumulate in the can; the intake is bone dry....

...it may have something to do with the large can and changing the factory pressure/vaccumn...
Old 02-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Banned

The oil breather is going to puke oil on your coilpacks and belts. Just wrap a shop rag around it with a ziptie or rubberband to keep it from spewwing to far.

When I installed a breather on my ls6, the oil consumption dropped to near 0. Before I would lose about a quart every 3000 miles.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

If you install a breather, I would plug the tb where you have that line going from the valve cover to the tb, and also plug the valve cover. This takes care of the unmetered air issue. The breathers are fine, but like everything else they need cleaned, if not cleaned or replaced they will get oil soaked then they will oil mist. you can clean the inside of them with some carb or tb cleaner every few months or when you notice they are dirty.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What breathers would you recommend to get?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default breather

I experienced un-meter air during my FAST install busted the plastic vacunm tube connector just behind the pass. side of intake (I sealled it up using a home made metal connector & then covered it w/ thick heat shrink GM wound'nt just sell the plastic connector wanted around $100. to replace intire tube)
anyway with this extra air entering the motor I'm thinking this is called un-metered air (since it was'nt entering the TB) car run ran crappie I guess the computer did'nt know how to compensate for the extra air.

so just for that reason I'm thinking NO breather for me.

will the breather create this effect discribed above?

Thanks Guy's for advice