Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Im considering going from my 12bolt to a True fab 9! WHat options should I look for

Old 02-04-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im considering going from my 12bolt to a True fab 9! WHat options should I look for

This car has been 9.80s on motor with a 13to1 LS6 engine and a T400.
My 12bolt is starting to make noise and am looking into a Fab 9 from Alston but want to make sure this is the last rear I buy. I know I dont want a stock 9" housing and also want a backbrace and Aluminum center section.

Also considering upgrading BMR torque arm to something that wont put me on the bumper... Let me know what to look for as some of the sponsors have some nice things...
ALso, I have a 4.56 now and want to stay close to that in a 9" Thanks LStech
Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the Moser M9 that I sell. It is by far the best designed and best looking fabricated 9 inch I have seen. No cheesy box tubing is used on it anywhere like some other vendors use, not on the tranny mount and not on the torque arm.

My Z28 was the first one to get the M9, and my Camaro is the one on the current cover of GM High-Tech.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1324

My Camaro.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 02-04-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We have been building Fab 9 rears since 1984. Many of the fastest cars in the country are using our housing and setups. Let me know if I can help.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:21 PM
FormerVendor

If you are upgrading from a 12 Bolt I would suggest the M9 Housing Package. Let me know what specs you are looking for and I can get you a price. The M9 may be expensive but is a very well built unit.

Jeff
Old 02-05-2008, 04:24 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Call around and get prices from everyone else, then give me a call. I'll beat everyones prices on Moser rears. Bob
Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Take a look at the Moser M9 that I sell. It is by far the best designed and best looking fabricated 9 inch I have seen. No cheesy box tubing is used on it anywhere like some other vendors use, not on the tranny mount and not on the torque arm.
Rather than ripping on other vendors "Bob", why dont you and the other vendors actaully discuss the topic at hand. The thread starter wants information on "options" available for fabbed rear-ends. Plus no one has addressed his question about torque arms.

The excessive "gear pimping" on this board and vendor mud slinging is getting out of hand. Might want to reserve the pimping for a PM and focus on information that everyone can use. All the rear vendors here are guilty of one or even both of these points.

Please focus on answering this guys questions. I am sure who ever provides the best answers aside from "I have the best deal" may get his business.

Last edited by wrd1972; 02-05-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:23 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Rather than ripping on other vendors "Bob", why dont you and the other vendors actaully discuss the topic at hand. The thread starter wants information on "options" available for fabbed rear-ends. Plus no one has addressed his question about torque arms.

The "gear pimping" on this board and vendor mud slinging is getting out of hand. Might want to reserve the pimping for a PM and focus on information that everyone can use.

Please focus on answering this guys questions. I am sure who ever provides the best answers aside from "I have the best deal" may get his business.
I have been on this forum far longer than the other vendors, answering peoples questions and selling rear-ends. The mud slinging started the other day with this post from SSvert99. I'm sorry I offended you. Bob

Posted By ssvert99
My 9" install, the good, the bad, and the ugly

Yes, look for clearance around the torque arm. Moser just came out with their own torque arm that is designed to clear the underbody on these cars, which will certainly help. What we do is stick a pry bar up where the underbody is rubbing, and gently pry the sheetmetal away. It only takes a few minutes and is easy to do. Moser has also come out with an option to have lower control arm relocation brackets already welded on the housing, which is a $100.00 option. These brackets have three mounting holes in them to help you dial in the height if your lower control arms.
Bob cool.... if you're gonna go thru all that, then why not just buy a $10,000 M9?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Another wasted reply.
Since no one yet has provided answers to wheelzupls1's quetions:
  • What are the available fabbed housing options
  • Torque arm information
  • What are the available ratios around 4.56

Here is my take.
I think all the fabbed 9" housings are going to be better and lighter than the standard housing. Since you are running 9's to 10's it sounds like you are looking at the right product and the back brace is added insurance. The reason the fabbed housing is stronger is due to more internal bracing and gussets as well as welded axle tubes.

I believe all of the fabbed 9" housings utilize a custom made torque arm available in a short length that mounts to the tunnel, similar to the Spohn TA. The long one mounts to a custom bracket that replaces stock tranny crossmember. It is my understanding that at your power level you definitely want the long arm to help keep the front end down. No need for an aftermarket TA like the BMR or Spohn.

Some of the fabbed housings by some vendors have options at an additional cost while others come with more goodies like sway bar mounts, extra LCA mounting points for no extra charge.

You can retain your 4.56 gear ratio with the 9". Other options are cut down tubes, special shock mounts, performance top sway bar mounts. It goes on and on.

I personally have the Midwest fabbed rear end which is excellent quality. It has the sway bar mounts,drain plug and extra LCA relocation mounting points at no extra cost plus the 31 spline Moser axles, torque arm and torque arm mount in your choice of short or long. My take on the box tubed torque arm mount is it provides more ground clearance compared to round heavier round tubing.

I would imagine that the fabbed 9" regardless of whose it is will be the last rear end you will buy. The M9 appears to be a very good unit too, but it is more expensive total package to total package.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

I am by no means running as fast but in the drag race section many posts have been made on how to hook the tires without standing straight on your bumper. I do not know MADMAN but in searching I've always found his posts being very imformational on how to keep the nose to a decent level and still hooking on radials. He might also be a good one to pm and he is a site sponsor for suspension parts.

There has been many back and forths between exotic and midwest chasis so if you feel comfortable give them both a call. One thing to note is that Eric Vicary from Midwest which you will talk to will be making the rear himself so support I believe will be unmatched, where as exotic just sells you a product produced by another manufacturer. But it looks like they both know there stuff.

Wish I could help ya more
Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I offered to help the original poster. Here is the info on our Fab 9 housing. It is fabricated by Chuck Burkhart and has been since 1994. We have been doing Fab 9 housings for the F Body longer than anyone. The reason I point the out is that we have A LOT of experience with these. We have them in the fastest cars in the country. Ask a lot of the owners from the drag radial class at the LSX Shoutout.

Enough marketing.

Each housing is built to length per your specifications. It will include a fill and drain plug, back brace, and LCA relo brackets. All of the brackets on our housings are new and built to our specifications. We do not use 10 bolt salvage parts. All brackets are CM not mild steel. Every weld is TIG and not wire feed. We include a TA mount that will work with our TA or can work with any aftermarket or stock style TA. We keep the suspension mounting points in the factory location to meet class racing rules. Our Fab 9 can be had in a full CM version for the very serious drag racer.

You can include:
Tie downs - great for trailering a car, no need to loop straps over the axle.
Powder coating - pick the color
Wheelie bar, and brackets - for the fast crowd. The wheelie bars are built to your length spec.
Anti Roll bar - solid mount anti roll bar
Sway bar pads - for the use of a stock style sway bar.

We can build any axle and center section you may require. 31 - 40 spline, any gear and carrier combination.

We can add brakes to the rear if needed.

We do not offer ABS or TCS.

I hope this does a few things. 1) answer the original question. 2)let everyone else know that we have a great product at a great price. We will not mud sling as previously mentioned. It's not a good way to do business.

Let me know if there are further questions.

Last edited by Steve Burger; 02-05-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:26 PM

Wow, I come back and lots of posts! I Like them too bad a majority of them are off topic... anyway...

1. No "sissy bars" allowed.
2. The M9 is probably exactly like what I am looking for but seems a bit pricey compared to the same setup from Midwest Chassis.
3. Steve from what I saw on the website pictures, your 9 inch just looks like it has a rear cover on a stock housing unlike the Moser M9?
4. I am also going to be looking into brakes as well and want to change to a better brake than the Aerospace I currently have...I assume most are using the strange peices?

Well, time to make some phone calls as the tax check was deposited last night.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ours is a fabricated housing not a Moser housing with welded on attachments. We can get you into one for less than an M9.

let me know.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:46 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by Steve Burger
Ours is a fabricated housing not a Moser housing with welded on attachments.
What are you talking about? Did you not know that Moser came out with a Fabricated housing called the M9? In case you missed it, here it is.
http://www.powertvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=2901 Bob

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 02-05-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The one thing you need to look for in a fabricated housing is torque arm mounting points if you plan to run any "stock" style suspension classes. I have used the Moser M9 but i use the stock style torque arm mount so it is legal for racing. This entails alot of custom fabrication. The Burkhart is my choice do to the fact that Chuck will build the housing EXACTLY like I spec and it uses the stock torque arm mount and location. .

225-343-9029
Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

What are you talking about? Did you not know that Moser came out with a Fabricated housing called the M9? In case you missed it, here it is.
http://www.powertvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=2901 Bob
I am well aware of that. I was answering the question from the post above on the apperance of our housing.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by MADMAN
The one thing you need to look for in a fabricated housing is torque arm mounting points if you plan to run any "stock" style suspension classes. I have used the Moser M9 but i use the stock style torque arm mount so it is legal for racing. This entails alot of custom fabrication. The Burkhart is my choice do to the fact that Chuck will build the housing EXACTLY like I spec and it uses the stock torque arm mount and location. .
Thanks Brian.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WheelZupLS1
Wow, I come back and lots of posts! I Like them too bad a majority of them are off topic... anyway...

1. No "sissy bars" allowed.
2. The M9 is probably exactly like what I am looking for but seems a bit pricey compared to the same setup from Midwest Chassis.
3. Steve from what I saw on the website pictures, your 9 inch just looks like it has a rear cover on a stock housing unlike the Moser M9?
4. I am also going to be looking into brakes as well and want to change to a better brake than the Aerospace I currently have...I assume most are using the strange peices?

Well, time to make some phone calls as the tax check was deposited last night.
What are "sissy bars"?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:20 PM
8 Second Club

^ Thanks BTW for your help the other day...

I went ahead and ordered a Fabbed Midwest 9" from Eric today. NO ONE could match his price, not even close. My set up is Loaded!!!!!!!! Back brace, Wheelie Bar mounts, Drag bar, blah blah, extra loaded. And I gotta killer deal on a Strange DS. I'm telling you, no one could beat the prices. And you don't pay an extra $35.00 for **** like a damn drain plug, and LCA mounts.. That stuff comes standard at midwest.... Can hardly wait to see it. BTW, Midwest doesn't charge you an arm and a leg for powdercoat either. ANY COLOR you want, Eric can do for 1/5 the price anyone else can...
Old 02-08-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Come on 1BDTRAM you know midwest is not 1/5 of everone else. It is 2/5. lol
Old 02-09-2008, 04:27 PM

You are correct! Everyone I did research with, and trust me it was a lot (sorry everyone) said he is "the best period, dont waste your time with anything else".....glad I made the decision to go with him. I didnt even care about price, it was more the integrity and willingness is more important to me and the racers out here.

As for "what are sissy bars" AKA wheelie bars. (a old saying from the old motorcycle days)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Im considering going from my 12bolt to a True fab 9! WHat options should I look for