Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beating a dead horse....But lets talk sheetmetal intakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Beating a dead horse....But lets talk sheetmetal intakes

I am looking into getting a sheetmetal intake for my car. All of the searching I have done has only come up with a few things.

-Generally speaking the only motors that benefit from these are large cube motors that need the extra air flow.

-No positive gains on a stock cubic inch motor unless you are WELL into the RPM band. Maybe even some severe losses on the bottom end.

Well I am running a stock cubic inch motor.......before everyone jumps up and says "your wasting money" or "why" or any of the other stuff let me explain.

I run in Open Road Races. Where the motor is constantly being turned on the big end, in some cases for as long as 40 minutes. Now if a sheet metal intake will only make power from..... lets say 4500-7500 and my operateing window during a run will be anywhere from 5000+ the entire time except for some very short sections, would using a sheet metal intake be worth it? If I can see 25hp improvments above 4500 that would be well worth it IMHO for what I do with the car.

I would be willing to take a hit on the lower end if there were gains on the big end. Does anyone see where I am coming from on this?

How bout some input.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Beating a dead horse....But lets talk sheetmetal intakes

stick with a Ls6
Old 07-11-2003, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with Terry on this. The LS6 is a very good intake for all aspects of what your trying to accomplish, and with your current level of horsepower.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry that one thing I forgot to mention that I will be going to a new cam (possibly a solid roller) here very soon. Been looking at the G5X2 if I stay hydrolic.

Is the LS6 intake just designed that well for these motors that it is impossible to improve on it?
Old 07-11-2003, 12:38 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

Futral has one that he has on his 348ci SR and he said it outperforms the stock LS6 intak from 4500 rpms and up, and it does not lose any tq or hp below 4500 rpms.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:14 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The issue with most sheetmetal jobs is runner length. All the ones out there are short runner jobs. Get a longer runner, and a bigger plenum, and you won't loose power, anywhere. But, the problem becomes hood clearance, etc... If you could get a sheetmetal manifold built like that, you'd be ok. But, in the arena you are talking about it sounds like you would only benefit. If it makes the car soggy, on the bottom, but you're never there, then you only stand to gain. You may wish to look at some of the new intakes coming out.... They may fit the bill.