Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Went

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Went

Driving to work the other morning I was shifting from 1st to 2nd when out of the blue the clutch lost all pressure. I am thinking the master went, its a Mcleod clutch and adjustable master. Even with no pressure I was still able to get into gear and drive it home. My actual question is can I save the clutch? I think fluid leaked all over it, it was slipping in 4th gear on the way home. Can I just pull the tranny, resurface the flywheel, replace the slave and master and call it a day? Or did I ruin the clutch driving it the 7 miles home?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it got fluid on it then no
Old 02-06-2008, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the clutch material. The disc may have to be replaced if it is not metalic but you should be able to reuse the flywhell and PP in any event...

If it was the master, and not the slave, you should not have gotten any fluid on the clutch...
Old 02-07-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard bad stories about the McLeod masters taking a crap, so I would definitely check that first. If it started slipping in fourth, you probably did get fluid on the disk, but I'm not really sure how that would have happened if it was the master that went and not the slave. Usually fluid on the clutch is a result of a bad slave or a leak in the rear main seal.