Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about ported TB's

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about ported TB's

I've seen a few ported TB's on Ebay. my question is this:

All the TB's are ported the same and have the same mods done to them (bump stop, knife edging, etc.), but some are "epoxy filled" or something like that.

What does that mean? I've seen some other TB's that dont have the epoxy over the 2 holes in the major opening. One TB had the epoxy shaped like the area that got ported, and even allowed for the 2 holes to be seen.

I dont even know what the 2 "holes" are for......on a TB that is, lol..

I'm not sure which TB to buy. Am I better off just getting MY TB ported and polished? Is mine matched to my car? Will I even notice enough gain to make it worth it? (my cars info in sig.)

thanks guys/gals!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

ya dude i just bought one off of ebay. the epoxy over those two holes is actually to cut down on turbulance. and those two holes are to allow air in the engine when the throttle blade is closed. the numbers i hear is 5+ whp on stock car, 10+ on motor with full intake and exhaust and 15+ on fully built motor with heads and cam. i think its a worthy investment, but i havent recived it yet so idk how much i'll feel it. good luck dude.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned

thanks man!! Did you get the one that "ApexVII" was selling...his looked SWEET!!! (but had no epoxy, should i look for one with epoxy?)
Old 02-07-2008, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

ya dude thats the on i got! ya it does look sweet i cant wait for it to get here. uhhh i've heard the ones with epoxy aren't even worth it for the extra cash. soo in my own opinion, i would think that the engine would be starving for air because they are makin the inlet holes smaller. so i would avoid em! good luck
Old 02-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Banned

I appreciate it man!! Let me know how that new TB treats ya!! I gotta get me one !!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Calstud86
I appreciate it man!! Let me know how that new TB treats ya!! I gotta get me one !!
Some people will say the epoxy is useless and can actualy wind up in your motor. Just to be safe, you may want to stay away from it. Things can always happen.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

it is worthless, it looks really cool,,but its worthless,,,it shows no gains and you risk losing **** inside your engine. Good luck

search for threads on here for folks finding epoxy in places it should'nt be.

if the sharp corners are removed, and the airway is smoothed out, thats alllllllll the work you need,,,without choking off your airways, messin up your idle, etc, etc,etc,

Old 02-08-2008, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

how can a TB with no epoxy not be worth the cash?? Epoxy has nothing to do with performance gains,,,,,

Do you even know what the mods are to a stock TB that make them perform better,??

Epoxy or not, the gains are the same. DO YOUR RESEARCH, not trying to be an ***, but If your dumb enough to base your descions of looks vs performance ((only)) when buyin a performance mod,,,your in alot of trouble when you start spending alot of money on your mods

Good luck to you both..

Last edited by Bad Blue WS6; 02-08-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSChevy99
ya dude thats the on i got! ya it does look sweet i cant wait for it to get here. uhhh i've heard the ones with epoxy aren't even worth it for the extra cash. soo in my own opinion, i would think that the engine would be starving for air because they are makin the inlet holes smaller. so i would avoid em! good luck
Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
how can a TB with no epoxy not be worth the cash?? Epoxy has nothing to do with performance gains,,,,,

Do you even know what the mods are to a stock TB that make them perform better,??

Epoxy or not, the gains are the same. DO YOUR RESEARCH, not trying to be an ***, but If your dumb enough to base your descions of looks vs performance ((only)) when buyin a performance mod,,,your in alot of trouble when you start spending alot of money on your mods

Good luck to you both..
Hey Bad Blue... i think you misunderstood him... he was saying the same as you.... It's NOT worth it to pay for the epoxy....oh, and your TB looks friggin' AWESOME!!! Who did it?
Old 02-08-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

thanx for correcting.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Banned

no sweat!....and man, i need a TB like YOURS!!