Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

new guy needing advice from GA

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy needing advice from GA

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and had some questions and need advice on. I am building a 1956 chevy truck and want to put a 5.3 or a 6.0 in it and I have both engines. Is the bottom end of these motors the same as the ls1 and are the parts interchangeable ie,cams, heads,etc... I need to rebuild both but which should I use. I am pretty sure the 6.0 becuase of hp. ANY IDEAS????????????????
Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the other thread you posted this question in...parts are mostly interchangable with the exception of the 6.0L crankshaft. Some of the 6.0L cranks have a thicker rear flange.

Originally Posted by twogirls
I am building a 6.0liter out of a 2003 1500HD truck for a 1956 chevy truck I am restoring and I need some serious help. I would like to make around 400hp with this motor, but what would be suggested to do this. I would like to put a cam in it and a different set of heads but really dont know what to use at this point. Someone please point me in the right direction. I also have a 5.3liter out of a 2001 suburban that I can build as well if there is any benefit to do that. ??????????????????????
Originally Posted by GoatChs
You can easily make 400 with either the 6L or the 5.3L. I personally like the idea of using:
1) 5.3L bored out to use 5.7L pistons. 3.898 is stock 5.7L bore but you can over bore to 3.905--there are alot of quality pistons available but I prefer Diamond or JE (just my preference). Go with a flat top with -2cc valve reliefs.
2) stock 5.3L 3.622 stroke crank.
3) stock 5.3L rods with good bolts (ARP or Katech).
4) a set of stage 2 ported heads (Patriot Performance is a great value for a nice "LS6" stage 2, which is ported with 2.02/1.57 valves & his Patriot Gold valve spring/retainer set), these will give you 10.5:1 compression with the pistons above. Also be sure to get a set of hardened pushrods as the stockers are a bit weak.
5) a smallish cam (such as the Thunder Racing TR224, with 563/563 lift, 224/224 duration and a 112 lsa will make good power throughout the power band, be easy on the valve train and have a nice lopey idle.
6) long tube headers with a free flowing dual exhaust.
7) a good tune is essential for longevity and power.

You didn't mention if you were going to run a throttle body or carb, but in your application I like the idea of running an Edelbrock Performer with either a TB or carb.

And that is all it takes to get 400rwhp...