Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR Or Trick Flow Heads. Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFR Or Trick Flow Heads. Which is better?

As the title says, which head do you guys think will make more power? The AFR 205cc 61cc chamber or the Trick flow 215cc 61cc Chamber?.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are both great heads with superior low/mid lift #'s but from what i am seeing TFS make a little more power. They also have a 13.5* valve angle which gives a little better PTV clearance. This allows you to mill a bit more to get better compression and run a bigger cam. On the down side you HAVE to run aftermarket rockers with TFS. I would with AFR too though because bronze guides and stock rockers are not the best to run together. I honestly can't see anybody disappointed with either one.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by odarabla
As the title says, which head do you guys think will make more power? The AFR 205cc 61cc chamber or the Trick flow 215cc 61cc Chamber?.
You can't go wrong with either. Also Tony from AFR and the guys at TEA(Brian and Mike) are great to deal with and know their stuff.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

AFR for boost or spray because of the thickness, TFS for NA.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Define better? Its not like one head is going to make 100 hp more than the other.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Define better? Its not like one head is going to make 100 hp more than the other.
Better meaning which head is going to make more power, respond better to cam, Make more torqe?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by odarabla
Better meaning which head is going to make more power, respond better to cam, Make more torqe?

There are 500+ threads asking this question with one variation or another.
Originally Posted by robz*
You can't go wrong with either.

Properly setup, I don't see where either one would vary more than you could tell by SOTP.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slow95z
AFR for boost or spray because of the thickness, TFS for NA.
they BOTH have much thicker decks than factory castings. So your statement makes no sense.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

I have heard good reviews on both. But I would also take into account the customer service of AFR heads. I mean come on, Tony Mamo is always on this board - the guy who did major design work on the heads helps out individual customers with tech support all the time. His advice is always helpful and unbiased.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd just get the best.... ETs if I was gona spend 2,2xx on a aftermarket head casting
Old 02-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

From the documentation Ive read TFS makes more power. The valve angles give superior piston to valve clearance.A gm purist will use this to their advantage and run a "he-man" cam...who knows mill that biatch a lil bit. Like Sombitch said...You have 2 run aftermarket rockers etc......For simplicity go afr...If you want to "go for broke" get the tfs.....
Old 02-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SonnyG
From the documentation Ive read TFS makes more power. The valve angles give superior piston to valve clearance.A gm purist will use this to their advantage and run a "he-man" cam...who knows mill that biatch a lil bit. Like Sombitch said...You have 2 run aftermarket rockers etc......For simplicity go afr...If you want to "go for broke" get the tfs.....
11 degree vs 15 degree valve angles is going to give a slight edge to the trick flows. I would personally buy the AFR's because of Tony's customer service and like Sonny said, you have to run special rockers with the TFS heads, any stock style rockers will not work.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
11 degree vs 15 degree valve angles is going to give a slight edge to the trick flows. I would personally buy the AFR's because of Tony's customer service and like Sonny said, you have to run special rockers with the TFS heads, any stock style rockers will not work.
The TFS heads are a 13.5* valve angle (the ET heads are 11*), and they don't require a "special" rocker...just a roller tip rocker, available a lot of places.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
I would personally buy the AFR's because of Tony's customer service and like Sonny said, you have to run special rockers with the TFS heads, any stock style rockers will not work.
I agree with you. TFS have to run after market rocker arms so that is one reason they make a tad more power over the AFR heads using stock rockers. Both are great heads but I would (and did) run the AFRs. Get some Yella Terra rockers and you'll be right with the TFS head.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Default Do Scorpion roller rockers work with TF & AFR heads?

Anyone know if you can run the Scorpion roller rockers with the Trick Flow or AFR heads?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes both.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

doesn't the TF's require a special rocker arm for the exhaust or something or do they only need a special rocker arm stand?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Between those two my choice went somewhere else: ETP 215...
Why???
Because I took a look at the technical aspect and the best of both brands is on the ETP Heads.

- Valve angle is rolled to 11° on the ETP vs.13.5° on the TFS and 15° for the AFR.
The ETP is the only one who made a casting with the same characteristics than the C5R, GM can't be wrong with the 24 hours Le Mans winning C5, don't you think?

- On the ETP heads the valve-train geometry is PERFECT with the OEM rockers and valve the train deflection is non-existant...
I rev my engine to 7450RPM with zero valve float.

- The ETP deck is the thickest when you compare the two others vs. the ETP...

- The ETP heads are the only one to have INSERTS from the factory to "on the top of the thick deck" improve rigidity, very well engineered sirs!!!

- ETP Factory or any of their dealers can deliver you from the factory the exact volume chamber you or your engine builder wants...for the same price!!!

- On the ETP heads the Intake port volume starts at 215cc then 225cc then 235cc then 245cc...thanks for the choice.

- The price is similar to the AFR and less than TSF when you add to those the roller rockers.

- At the end those ETP 215 in my daily driver stock cube stock shortblock on pump gaz that is so drivable than my wife use it...is producing 511rwhp and 455rwtq... and cruise 1200rpm in six gear or 20mph in a school zone in third...enough say I guess.
Regarding racing, in the big dog world, ETP is used by the best, but if you are racing, you know that you never tell the others what makes you the fastest...no???

The only problem is that ETP is selling so much that they don't need to advertise and you may wait a little more to obtain them vs.the competition.

Ready to be flamed!!!!!

Christian
Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Between those two my choice went somewhere else: ETP 215...
Why???
Because I took a look at the technical aspect and the best of both brands is on the ETP Heads.

- Valve angle is rolled to 11° on the ETP vs.13.5° on the TFS and 15° for the AFR.
The ETP is the only one who made a casting with the same characteristics than the C5R, GM can't be wrong with the 24 hours Le Mans winning C5, don't you think?

- On the ETP heads the valve-train geometry is PERFECT with the OEM rockers and valve the train deflection is non-existant...
I rev my engine to 7450RPM with zero valve float.

- The ETP deck is the thickest when you compare the two others vs. the ETP...

- The ETP heads are the only one to have INSERTS from the factory to "on the top of the thick deck" improve rigidity, very well engineered sirs!!!

- ETP Factory or any of their dealers can deliver you from the factory the exact volume chamber you or your engine builder wants...for the same price!!!

- On the ETP heads the Intake port volume starts at 215cc then 225cc then 235cc then 245cc...thanks for the choice.

- The price is similar to the AFR and less than TSF when you add to those the roller rockers.

- At the end those ETP 215 in my daily driver stock cube stock shortblock on pump gaz that is so drivable than my wife use it...is producing 511rwhp and 455rwtq... and cruise 1200rpm in six gear or 20mph in a school zone in third...enough say I guess.
Regarding racing, in the big dog world, ETP is used by the best, but if you are racing, you know that you never tell the others what makes you the fastest...no???

The only problem is that ETP is selling so much that they don't need to advertise and you may wait a little more to obtain them vs.the competition.

Ready to be flamed!!!!!

Christian
Get that car to the track, I really want to see what it ET's and mph's
Old 05-27-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

blu1 - I want to see the same, I'd rather see trap speeds versus dyno numbers.

Quick Reply: AFR Or Trick Flow Heads. Which is better?