Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken 2 starters in a row...help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken 2 starters in a row...help!

Alright so I try to start it up last Monday and I get a loud grinding noise. I try it again , same thing. I figure it's the starter or flywheel. I take out the starter, flywheel looks OK but it broke the starter from the housing where a bolt goes. I go to autozone and get another starter, put it in and it does the same thing. Grinding and when I took it out it broke it the same exact way! So now I'm thinking my engines seized but I can turn it by hand. I have no idea what to do next. 2000 WS6 all bolt ons. Help!
Old 02-10-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably have a cracked and/or a warped flexplate (if its an A4) or flywheel. the teeth may all be there but stock flywheels can warp and Flexplates are known to crack around the bolt holes and cutouts which can cause the whole flexplate to warp. Whatever you do STOP putting on starter after starter because LS1 Blocks are also known to break the starter mount tab right off the block in these situations. Then you would have a much larger problem.

Last edited by sixvi6-camaro; 02-10-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its the starter mount on the block. I broke two starters the same way. The mount on the block was broke and when I tightened the new starter down on the broke block, the new starter broke as well. Sucks don't it?...