General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Choosing Wheels and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Choosing Wheels and Tires

I'm deciding on the kind of tire and wheel profile I want on my 95 LT1 Camaro, and have pretty much settled on 17x9.5 c5 z06 wheels with 275-40-17's all around. The car will be a daily driver with no more than 500rwhp when I'm finished with it and have a 1" drop in suspension with Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs, but I do have a question:

Why is it that in Formula, Indy, and Nascar the wheel/tire combo of choice is small diameter wheels with lots of sidewall, whilst in sports car racing, such as Rolex and many SCCA races, the tire profile is usually very low?

Can someone explain the performance advantages of both? Obviously, ultra low profile on city roads is ridiculous due to high probability of warping the wheel and low ride comfort. However, I've noticed there is a definite performance increase in handling with lower profile tires. Is this simply a full suspension issue, and production cars are simply easier to stiffen the suspension with lower tire profiles rather than reworking the suspension?

Last edited by LifesHarlequin; 02-10-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: small rewording
Old 02-10-2008, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Lower profile tires give more "feedback".

While this can be seen as annoying on ride comfort, it helps you feel the road better as well.

As far as using one over the other... I would have no clue. I know auto cross uses larger sidewall tires for the most part.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

maybe its #of laps i dont know how many laps rolex cars go but after the tires get hot they tend to come apart easier maybe nascar has more rubber to help absorb the heat. another thing rolex cars make alot of turns lower profile tires would tend to make the car slide more but in alot of their turns theyre not going that fast so sliding wouldnt be that big a problem where as a larger profile would roll and the car wouldn't slide as easily in a 180mph turn.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the choice of tires in nascar has to do with overall feel of the car as well as grip. with a taller sidewall one can runa lower pressure and the tires get stickier.

don;t make a tire choice based on nascar. it bears nothing on a street car.

i am running 17 x9.5s all around with 275s in back and 245s in front... the wheels are ZR1s and have 38mm backspacing. they look sick and feel great.