LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Leak

So, I've got a slight oil leak and don't really have a clue what's causing it, or exactly where it's coming from. I know it's coming from the front of the motor somewhere, and then it drips down and gets all over the bottom of the motor and there's also some on the tranny (Probably from wind from driving causing it to blow back onto it). Anyone know where it would be leaking at up front and what would cause it?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best thing i can tell you to do is crawl underneith with a flashlight and look. could be numours different gaskets/seals.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 AM
TECH Addict

It could be your front cover, I believe there are three rubber gaskets that are a bitch to get in right. I remember that from the last time my opti was changed. Your valve cover gaskets could be leaking. If you have the normal LT1 intake leak you should see oil all over your starter, that's what mine did.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

I think maybe it's the opti seal. The guy I bought it from had the opti replaced about a week or two before I bought the car. So, I'm thinking that maybe it wasn't sealed the best. It does look like it's coming from near the opti somewhere, and that's my best guess, as of now. I've got to take it in sometime to get an exhaust leak fixed, maybe I'll just have it checked out when I do that.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:20 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

check that small vaccum hose that's infront of the intake manifold it goes to the PCV, sometimes when that hose heats up and cracks it leaks oil and puddles up front of the intake and drips down on the optispark area.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:57 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It could also be the water pump driveshaft seal in the timing cover. Mine was leaking like a ****. You'll more than likely have to get under the car with it running to determine where it's coming from. After replacing that seal, the opti seal and fixing the rear intake leak, I'm pretty sure my engine now has no leaks.