Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

trans or clutch causing the issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trans or clutch causing the issue?

I'm having a real hard time getting into reverse and downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Most of the time i have to put it in first then goto second when downshifting. Sometimes the gears bang when putting it into reverse. Do i have a bent shift fork or something? The trans was rebuilt 10k miles ago due to a pilot bearing failure and took the entire trans out.. shafts and all. I have the mcleod twin disk back in. Could my clutch or slave be worn and not fully engaging/disengaging? Shifting from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 isnt a problem, sometimes the clutch is slow and the gears bang or it could be me, but it never misses. Just doesnt go in downshifting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i also noticed that my clutch is letting out twords the top of the pedal movement, not 1" off the floor like before. Theres close to 15k miles on it, could it be worn? I really like the action, engagement and grip of the clutch. The only thing is when it heats up in traffic after a while it gets annoying... Is there anything else on the market comareable that isnt so heavy tho?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:02 PM
8 Second Club

Shifting problems sounds like it may be your syncros, but I'm not sure really...
Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

car only has 24k on it, trans was completely redone at 11k.