Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Exhaust question

im thinking about buying a 2002 trans am.
ive never owned one, so im not sure about it, but my question pertains to the exhaust. i have a 1997 trans am that i put an SLP loudmouth catback on. im thinking about trading it in for the 02. but im only willing to trade it in if i get to keep my shifter and exhaust.

from what im told i can unbolt the exhaust from an 02 and bolt it up to my 97. is this true? how hard is it to do?

keep in mind the new 02 i want used to be someone's garage ornament (it only has 29xxx miles), never in the rain, no rust, so taking the exhaust apart shouldnt be too bad. my car has 89k miles so it was a bit tricky taking everything off from the bit of rust and such. but it wouldnt be hard for me to take the loudmouth off of mine, i know that much -- im just trying to figure out if the new 02 stock exhaust will work with the 97 model.

in response to a question i know a lot of you would ask - I would put the factory exhaust back on but i cut it off right by the axle in front of the muffler, so it would have to be welded and i threw the other pipe away.

any help is much appreciated, im not trying to spend $400 again on something i already own and love.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Launching!

I'd just trade it as is. The loudmouth won't sound very good if you plan on getting rid of the cats anyway, and it seems it'd be worth it to lose the exhaust to get an LS1.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Trading it in ON of FOR the 02? If its a straight up trade then don't worry about the catback, just hurry up and get the car!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i want the car but i love the loudmouth because its loud and nice. honestly it does sound way better on an LT1. LS1s just dont sound as good IMHO.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by xEzekial
yeah i want the car but i love the loudmouth because its loud and nice. honestly it does sound way better on an LT1. LS1s just dont sound as good IMHO.
yeah but LT1's generally are not as fast as LS1's I would trade it in a heartbeat and worry about exhaust later
Old 02-12-2008, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

I love the sound of my LM 2 system. I cant stand when people use their opinion as if its the only option out there. If you want loud then keep it. But I hear that you need a little work to get the exhaust to swap over. Itll save you a few hundred in the long run, so why not?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

My LM1 system sounds great through the pacesetters and ORY pipe. I love the sound it makes when it's time to get down to business. Also I have random people tell me at stop lights they like the sound as well. Good luck on your decision.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

I would just trade straight up honestly and save yourself all the hassle.