Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

do stragne 12-bolts whine like mosers??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default do stragne 12-bolts whine like mosers??

i searched and almost found the answer i was looking for, but not quite enough to keep me from asking out and out...do strange 12-bolts develop the same whining gears as mosers do. i know that one of the sponsors here (i think it was epp because they're always hawking moser stuff but cant remember for sure) recommends the moser 9-inch instead of the moser 12 because the torque arm mounts to the 9 just like it does to the stock 10-bolt - he says this is the 10-bolt's only redeaming quality. the search i did said that the strange 12-bolt also mounts the torque arm just like the 10-bolt, not with moser's screwy 4 bolts setup. with that said, a 12-bolt is still not a 9-inch sooooooo

in review, will the strange 12-bolt develope the same whine as the moser unit or not.

edit:
yes it was epp
Old 02-12-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know this also.. I'm going to be in the market for a rear sooner or later and I've often heard that Mosers whine..
Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you search around on here, you'll find the difference in how the torque arm mounts to a 9" vs. a 12-bolt...the 12-bolt is cast in place with the pumpkin, and the 9" rears usually use a rather large bracket that gets bolted to the rear housing, and thus has no direct contact with the 9" center section.

The theory is that the cast in place torque arm mount introduces stresses to the pumpkin that causes the gears to flex in relation to one another, thus causing the whining after a few hard launches. Keep in mind, this is only a theory. No one has conclusive evidence to support their case, but it does seem to hold water.

Most people that complain about gear whine are complaining about the original setup as it came from Moser or Strange. Both companies have been known to ship rears with improperly set gears. It happens. There are a handful of others that truly abuse their cars, and they complain about the gears getting noisier after a few launches. It is important to distinguish between the two cases...the source of gear whine in each case is different (improper setup vs. pure abuse).

That being said, the 9" rear does have a superior design for supporting the pinion as opposed to a 12-bolt, but the 12-bolt is still a nice piece, and has a place in this world, mainly for people like me. The 9" rear is just a big piece of equipment that my street car doesn't need...it will rarely ever see the track, and certainly nothing stickier than a drag radial and launches under 4k RPMs. For me, the Strange 12-bolt just made better sense.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

i think i'm with you on this...my appliation will probably never even see a drag strip and will DEF never see launches about 4k. thanx for the good info meent
Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Based on my personal experience...my moser 12bolt is quite as a mouse. Maybe I got lucky and the gears were setup properly...but my rearend makes really very little noise if any at all.

I couldnt be happier with it, its a nice piece.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:07 AM
8 Second Club

I'm suprised Bob@EPP hasn't flooded this thread with his damn advertisments yet... lol

Keep in mind the gearset you use. Richmonds tend to whine a bit more than Motive.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

ding ding. j/k hahaha

In most cases it is the ring and pinion making noise from the beginning. I have seen a lot of US Gears being noisey lately, which is unusual because it is a pretty nice gear overall. We have had much better luck with the Motive Performance Ring and Pinions in our shop which is why we like to do the setup ourselves instead of having Moser install the parts for us. Our preference though.

Jeff
Old 02-12-2008, 11:51 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
ding ding. j/k hahaha

In most cases it is the ring and pinion making noise from the beginning. I have seen a lot of US Gears being noisey lately, which is unusual because it is a pretty nice gear overall. We have had much better luck with the Motive Performance Ring and Pinions in our shop which is why we like to do the setup ourselves instead of having Moser install the parts for us. Our preference though.

Jeff
Just my .02, I've found that Richmond gears tend to be a little louder, but also tend to last longer than Motive. I don't care how loud mine are because I drive with open headers half the time lol. My car is already loud, why would I care about some gear noise???

Plus Motive gears are made in Italy, where Richmond gears are manufactured here in our country, the good ole USA.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1BDTRAM
Just my .02, I've found that Richmond gears tend to be a little louder, but also tend to last longer than Motive. I don't care how loud mine are because I drive with open headers half the time lol. My car is already loud, why would I care about some gear noise???

Plus Motive gears are made in Italy, where Richmond gears are manufactured here in our country, the good ole USA.
Richmond is a stronger due to the metalurgical breakdown of materials they use. This is why they are also noisey. I would not hesitate to run a Richmnond Gear but I will always let people know they will most likely be noisey where as the Motive Performance Gears are typically quite. For the price the Motive Performance is a better way to go IMO.

Jeff
Old 02-12-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
Richmond is a stronger due to the metalurgical breakdown of materials they use. This is why they are also noisey. I would not hesitate to run a Richmnond Gear but I will always let people know they will most likely be noisey where as the Motive Performance Gears are typically quite. For the price the Motive Performance is a better way to go IMO.

Jeff
Nice outlook on it..
My Richmonds are definitely loud.. I think my rear end is on the outs also though.. I had it rebuilt once with Richmond kit and 373's.. Next purchase will more than likely be a 12 bolt for fear of ABS and Spohn Adj TA complications and noise of a 9"..
Old 02-12-2008, 02:59 PM
8 Second Club

You can buy Motive or Richmond from Midwest for the same price....
Old 02-12-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

My Strange 12 bolt whines like hell. It has done this since day 1. It has 4.11 's in it. I've tried 80-140 still noisey. I've switched to Royal Purple and it is alittle better. At least it has not broken.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
My Strange 12 bolt whines like hell. It has done this since day 1. It has 4.11 's in it. I've tried 80-140 still noisey. I've switched to Royal Purple and it is alittle better. At least it has not broken.
What brand gears? Set up from the factory? If not, who set it up?

Also how do you drive it? Take it to the track? 4k launches?

Just trying to get all the insight I can before I need to go out and make a purchase..
Old 02-12-2008, 05:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1BDTRAM
You can buy Motive or Richmond from Midwest for the same price....
Interesting, I did not see that on their website.

Jeff
Old 02-12-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my moser 12-bolt hasn't whined since day 1, then again I"m running 3.08 gears with a TH400.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
Same thing with mine. Yes, I took it to the strip a couple of times which just made it get louder. I ended up with 2qts of Lucas 85w140 and a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

My moser 12 bolt is pretty quiet with plenty of 1.6 launches and a few 1.5's.