Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter? Or something else....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter? Or something else....

Hey guys, sorry for the length...

Well, I spent the weekend putting in new shocks/springs and got my slicks/skinnies set up put on so the car has been sitting for a couple days. I recently had a new cam and custom tune done and on the way driving home from the shop I got some sort of SES light. So I decided once I got everything installed I'd pull the PCM IGN/BAT fuses to reset the SES light to see if it would come on again when driving around. Well, anyway after I get done with everything and reset the PCM I get in the car and turn the key..... whiz, click, click, click..... that's it. Nothing. Tried a few more times and the same result, a whizzing sound then clicking.

So, I pulled the starter out (my first assumption) and take it down to the local auto store. They hook it up and test it and apparently the solenoid is still good, and atleast on their tester the starter appeared to work (gears popped out and spin.) Well, confused I go back home and put it back in and try it again. Sounds at first like it might start then.... click, click, click, click again. Nothing. I'm assuming the starter is busted somehow still..... maybe because of heatsoak from the headers. What do you guys think? TIA.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Starter? Or something else....

a starter is either good or bad generally. check the battery and see if thats your problem...
Old 07-13-2003, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well,

If it was the battery I wouldn't be getting power which I still do. Everything works just fine including the lights, radio, alarm etc. I think the starter just appeared to work because it didn't have a load put on it by the flywheel. I definately have battery power, but the starter doesn't even turn the motor over all I hear is a clicking sound..... I'm going to order a new one unless anyone has any other ideas. Anyone??
Old 07-13-2003, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

sounds like your battery! where i work i have lots of those. it clicks but acessories still werks right. try charging ur battery b4 buying a new starter.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

No Kidding how old is that battery? Don't know, look for the date stamp on it. Could very well power up low current items as you said but not be able to push the starter. I would be very suspicious until I could verify how old that battery is. Down south here I don't give a sealed battery more than two years before I give to the kids so they can play frankenstien with whats left of it.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, I'm going to check the battery out before I get a new starter just to make sure. I don't know what would cause it to drain like it has though cause my car is a 2001 and only 13,000 miles... but I'll make sure that isn't the problem first. Thanks!! I'll post up once I figure it out.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can easily have enough power to run your accessories, but not enough to turn over your engine. It takes a LOT of torque to spin one of our engines.