Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recommendations on detail products?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on detail products?

What should i use to clean/preserve the leather in my car? its an 01 z28 6M with 30k on it, beige leather interior. Also any recommendations on wax brand or cleaning supplies in general? One last thing what fluids should i change i know it only has 30k miles but its 7 yrs old...should i do rear end fluid, tranny or anything like that. Im changing the engine oil with royal purple, i havent decided on what weight yet though, probably 10w-30...thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Launching!

do tranny with royal purple too :-) just for ***** and giggles, then theres a mothers brand cleaner that works reallly good on leather
Old 02-12-2008, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

ive read on several posts that the royal purple eats some parts up in the tranny, and the whole synthetic vs mineral with tranny, im leaning towards the pennzoil synthetic but IDK
Old 02-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Mother's is good. Meguiars has a full line of cleaning products that is not too hard on your wallet and does a nice job. I'd change all the fluids, low mileage but that fluid has been in there a while.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

i will probably do that, never really done it before but it seems easy enough to change the rear and tranny fluid
Old 02-12-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

LEXOL makes a good leather cleaner product. It comes in a gold-ish bottle.

Probably a good idea to go ahead and change those fluids, wouldn't hurt. I'm not sure it's needed though.

As far as waxes, Mothers and Meguiars are "said" to have some of the best products. IMO it's all in how much effort you put into the wax job. Cleaner wax is what you should look for. Then the top layer, "clearcoat wax" or whatever it's called.

In other words, you could make a car look just as good with Nu Finish(definitely use it more than once a year) as you could with Meguiars "Gold Class"
Old 02-12-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

You should search through some of these Appearence and Detailing threads to get a good idea on what works as far as techniques.

A few things to remember that I see happen all the time:

1) Wash your car before you wax it. Make sure ALL dust is rinsed before you wax.

2) Wait til the paint is cool before you begin waxing.

3) If you drop a used buffing cloth on a dirty floor, just get a new one. It's a common mistake to just keep going with a dirty cloth and rub dirt right back into the fresh wax job.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dshag
ive read on several posts that the royal purple eats some parts up in the tranny, and the whole synthetic vs mineral with tranny, im leaning towards the pennzoil synthetic but IDK
Ate up the parts in mine, 1100 dollars later i'm goin with mobile one!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

What color is your car? If you have a dark colored car, check out this stuff called "butter wax" it really adds a dark deep shine to dark colored cars, but pretty much yeah Meguiars is the way to go.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

ive got a silver car, i picked up the meguiars leather cleaner just now
Old 02-12-2008, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

i just put it on using a white towel, the seats are in great shape, no tears at all, barely any creasing. however wherever it was creased it made this area a little darker, i guess thats good
Old 02-12-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want to make your seats softer do it once a week.. get the leather cleaner in cream or gel and rub it in with your hands (sounds gay) but let the leather absorb all of it for 24 hours or whatever and rub excess off.. makes it super soft like new and conditions the **** out of it.. do it on every car i'v owned the only cracks I get in the leather came with the car
Old 02-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Launching!

if you have any scratches in the paint Meguires makes a "Scratch X" that is pretty amazing. i was skeptical when i used it, but it came free in a car wash kit i got for christmas and it got rid of scratches from bushes along the bottom of my doors and cleaned up the area under the door handles that always get scratched. even makes deeper scratches more subtle.

i used full synthetic Mobile 1 tranny fluid in my A4 and it runs smoother than ever now. i recommend it.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

about how much would a shop charge me to change the rear fluid and the tranny fluid? just considering my options, im guessing about 120 for both maybe less, that way id also have paperwork, that hands comment LOL but i bet it does work, ill try that, i got the spray stuff guess ill go back to walmart or autozone and pick up the cream form

Last edited by dshag; 02-12-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Differential fluid is easy. If you can change oil, you can change differential fluid.

If you were closer to Houston, I'd help you with the detailing.

-Mike
Old 02-13-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

I have used Meguiars almost exclusively for years. They make great products. Here are my steps to a really good (maybe twice a year) cleaning.
Wash
Clay Bar
Polish
Wax

Note that polish and wax are 2 different things. The polish will remove light scratches, light oxidation, and scuffs. As already stated, use clean towels. I clean with one towel, use another for the polish, another for the wax, and shine with yet another towel. Not being picky about the clean towel leads to swirl marks.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all the advice, it just seemed like the meguiars doesnt moisturize the leather, more of a cleaner ans sealer or something
Old 02-13-2008, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

And just to make sure, there isnt a drain for the rear diff fluid? i have to take the cover off the use a gasket and close it back up right?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can use RP for the rear end. for the tranny, is it an auto or manual? if manual, you shouldnt use any kind of synthetic if its older than an 01 becuase they used paper blocker rings vs carbon in 01-02. if its an 01-02, use syncromesh.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:50 AM
TECH Resident

I would strongly recommend staying away from all Royal Purple products. I've seen too many motors trashed and ginked up (first hand) to ever use any of their products.

Yes, there was guy that changed his oil every 3,000and and at 40k miles with Royal Purple and his oil pan looked like my dog took 3 days worth of ***** in it. That isnt the only one....