LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hood Intake or K&N CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Intake or K&N CAI?

Alright, so in a few weeks I'm going to be buying a RamAir SS Style Hood for my 94Z28. I was mostly going to get the hood for looks, but I'm stuck between the option of going with my original plan of getting the K&N CAI or if I should get the Hood Intake kit?
What would give me more performance, or is there really not much of a difference? The airkit is usually about 50-125$ more on average than the K&N. Is it worth the extra money if there is extra performance?

Also, does anyone have any recommended brand/sites to get hoods from?
(Cheapest i could find is from LMP - http://www.lmperformance.com/19116/2.html - Anyone ever use them before?)
Old 02-12-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you can have a functional ram-air hood, do it. I give you like 1000 cool points over a K&N cai.

-Rick
Old 02-12-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the functional hood kit will definately help out at a car show and with "cool points" lol, but the fact is the lt1 ss airbox setup is restrictive and gets hot sitting on top of the intake. If there is a performance difference you will see more hp from the cai.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

There was a guy selling a used hood intake on here a couple weeks back for pretty cheap. I think the only problem was it had a tiny burn hole in it that shouldn't be too hard to fix. If I remember right, I think he only wanted like $100 for it or so.

EDIT: Just checked back and he sold it already. I would go with the hood intake, even if it won't give you the same performance. It is a lot more cool points having it. I plan on doing it whenver I get an SS hood.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone recommend some sites to buy the hoods from? Are there are sponsors here that supply hoods (at a decent price)?

And I think I'm going to do the hood intake rather than just have it for looks. Why waste a perfectly good hood intake It will probably sound louder since the air is coming from on top instead of the bottom, will make cars next to me look twice with a nice roar. Mwahaha !
Old 02-13-2008, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

I haven't looked around on too many of the sponsor sites, but WS6Store has them. This is actually a trufiber hood which is lighter than most, cheaper, and still has functional ram air. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...c6d0418bf022a3

They're a sponsor here. I'm not sure if they have further discounts for members, like some other sponsors do or not.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tspence45
I haven't looked around on too many of the sponsor sites, but WS6Store has them. This is actually a trufiber hood which is lighter than most, cheaper, and still has functional ram air. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...c6d0418bf022a3
Yea, I've found that TruFiber are the cheaper ones. That hood is "On Sale" at that other site, but I'm trying to find reviews of sites first before I purchase. Don't want to deal with crappy support.
Anyone have any other recommendations, please let me know
Old 02-13-2008, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Does the other site that it's on sale at have free shipping too? That hood probably won't be anywhere close to cheap on shipping. And WS6Store is top-notch, IMO. A couple weeks ago, I ordered my short shifter from them. Within 30 minutes of submitting my order, it was already shipped out. It was at my door within 16-20 hours with free shipping.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:42 AM
Staging Lane

Does the other site that it's on sale at have free shipping too? That hood probably won't be anywhere close to cheap on shipping. And WS6Store is top-notch, IMO. A couple weeks ago, I ordered my short shifter from them. Within 30 minutes of submitting my order, it was already shipped out. It was at my door within 16-20 hours with free shipping.
Now THATS SERVICE! I guess Ill be ordering from them Thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 04:05 AM
TECH Addict

Well, you probably won't get it as fast as I got my order, but it'll probably be processed as fast. The reason I got mine so quick is because their based out of Des Moines and I'm only about 5-7 hours away.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Does anyone know where i can buy the hood intake looked on all the sites i know and cant find it at all can someone please help... or have one for sale????
Old 02-13-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

ws6store is in des moines? anyone have an address? i'd liek to check them out since i'm 2 hours away from them and my girlfriends family lives there so i'm there all the time
Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by whammer33024
ws6store is in des moines? anyone have an address? i'd liek to check them out since i'm 2 hours away from them and my girlfriends family lives there so i'm there all the time
I'm not sure if they actually have a store or if it's all just handled online. You could try getting on their site and getting Mike's number and giving him a call to see.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by th3brandon
Does anyone know where i can buy the hood intake looked on all the sites i know and cant find it at all can someone please help... or have one for sale????
Its usually called a Hood Intake Kit or something similiar and its usually around 250-350$. Ill post some links later when I find one, im currently doing research on sites that sell them.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XPiRX
Its usually called a Hood Intake Kit or something similiar and its usually around 250-350$. Ill post some links later when I find one, im currently doing research on sites that sell them.
yea man let me know b/c i looked on every site i know and it seems like no one sells it Idk tho some post links
Old 02-13-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by th3brandon
yea man let me know b/c i looked on every site i know and it seems like no one sells it Idk tho some post links
The only place I know that sells the hood intake is the SLP website. And their products aren't cheap. I'd check eBay though. I used to see them on there all the time.

I'm not sure if they're a sponsor or not, so hopefully I don't get in trouble, but here's the link to the SLP site: http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21003
Old 02-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

The only place I know that sells the hood intake is the SLP website. And their products aren't cheap. I'd check eBay though. I used to see them on there all the time.

I'm not sure if they're a sponsor or not, so hopefully I don't get in trouble, but here's the link to the SLP site: http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21003
I've been able to find them other places, such as that LMP Site.
http://www.lmperformance.com/6072/.html
305 compared to 308$ and free shipping.
SummitRacing has them also, but they are the same price. they also have the lids for 102$. Expensive. Thats 150$ more expensive than a regular CAI.

Also, the K&N Intake will give you about a 10hp better (at most) performance increase compared to the Air-Box intake. SLP Says 15 HP Gain, K&N Says 25 HP Gain - These are "At Best" performance improvement, but still. A K&N Intake will get you more hp/$$.

I think im going to be going with the K&N filter myself. More performance, cheaper. And its not like people will know your hood isn't the CAI without looking under the hood. With the hood, It will look a hell-of-a-lot meaner though

Edit: All the air-box intake kits are "Recommended" for the SLP Camaro SS hood. So it may not even fit the TruFiber version 100%
Im sure there is a way to build a custom intake for the hood, buying separate parts and making it yourself compared to buying a kit.

Edit2: I found this http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...ducts_id=12096
It includes the SLP hood and the airbox kit together.

Last edited by XPiRX; 02-13-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XPiRX
I've been able to find them other places, such as that LMP Site.
http://www.lmperformance.com/6072/.html
305 compared to 308$ and free shipping.
SummitRacing has them also, but they are the same price. they also have the lids for 102$. Expensive. Thats 150$ more expensive than a regular CAI.

Also, the K&N Intake will give you about a 10hp better (at most) performance increase compared to the Air-Box intake. SLP Says 15 HP Gain, K&N Says 25 HP Gain - These are "At Best" performance improvement, but still. A K&N Intake will get you more hp/$$.

I think im going to be going with the K&N filter myself. More performance, cheaper. And its not like people will know your hood isn't the CAI without looking under the hood. With the hood, It will look a hell-of-a-lot meaner though

Edit: All the air-box intake kits are "Recommended" for the SLP Camaro SS hood. So it may not even fit the TruFiber version 100%
Im sure there is a way to build a custom intake for the hood, buying separate parts and making it yourself compared to buying a kit.

Edit2: I found this http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...ducts_id=12096
It includes the SLP hood and the airbox kit together.
https://www.ramairhood.com/store/scr...dproduct=23ind this site its pretty good i call them up answer on the first ring lol
Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think the camaro RAM-AIR off the hood is as good as the CAI from the wheel well. I've had both. The Ram-air setup hogs up alot of space on top of the motor too. I currently still have CAI from down low and will keep it that way for a while yet.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're going for show car, get the ram air, if you're going for performance get a CAI.