Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in a 72 Nova

Im putting a carb'd LS1 in a 72 nova, any quick tips in this installation

what headers will work? brand?

what motor mounts to buy?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the FAQ on the to of this forum.. There are some thread on the Gen I F-body that will help you since the 68-74 x-body is the same front subframe.. try researching some of the Gen I F-body for pros and cons on each of the motor plates..

S&P, BRP, ATS (and others) are some of the 1st web sites you shuold check to see what they have. As they have just about everything you need. S&P and BRP have project pages that show there kits being used.

Question you need to figure out what your plan is.. Front Accessories, Relocation mounts if not stock accessories, What A/C Compressor, if AC is going to be used. Also What trans are you planning on using? All of these question and more will come into play. So plan it all out before you get started.

Hooker now makes some 1st Gen F-Body Headers, S&P markes some also.

Good luck.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Most of the 1st gen camaro threads will work fine for answering your questions about subframe, cross-member, and/or trans tunnel issues.

I used the carshop motor mount plates (knock-offs of the S&P ones?) along with the sbc short and wide motor mounts. These motor mounts allow the engine some front/back wiggle room (about 1/2in or so) and along with the plates, you can get the back of the motor to be right where it'd be for an sbc. Handy if you want to reuse your old tranny and dont want to modify the x-member (like me ).

For headers I just reused some Hooker competition sbc headers, cut off flanges and re-welded tubes to ls1 flange. Their fit was bang-on with tube rearranging limited only to where they meet the exhaust flange, but this is pretty labour intensive so isnt for every one (but is so rewarding to see your work in the end!).

Like bczee said, if you have questions it's best to be more specific so we can give better advice!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:27 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my carbed 69 camaro swap thread
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37078

here is a thread i started about motor mount issues. i found the problem
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36867

quick video of my 69 ls1 with no exhaust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQn5_6YU7lc

hope they help.

Quick Reply: LS1 in a 72 Nova