Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how much of an improvement would I see from upgrading Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how much of an improvement would I see from upgrading Shocks?

I have a basically stock ws6 right now and I was wondering how much of an improvement I would see by just upgrading shocks? I have the stock DeCarbons right now.

Also what type of shocks are the best...... for the price.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

You will feel a big improvement. What are you wanting to bo with the car?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT1_Fireman
You will feel a big improvement. What are you wanting to bo with the car?
Mostly autocross, but I am also planning on doing the PIR roadcourse at least once this summer.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your on DeCarbons, you won't believe the difference a set of Koni SAs will make in ride, handling, and predictability on a road course.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

KYB AGX are what I am running .I don't think they can be beat for the price($90 each) and they are adjustable.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
If your on DeCarbons, you won't believe the difference a set of Koni SAs will make in ride, handling, and predictability on a road course.
Are Koni's adjustable? And how many adjustments do they have? Also how much do they cost?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes they are adjustable.$270 for the front and $170 out back a piece.Not sure how many settings they have.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

WOW they are expensive! Are they worth it? Or would it be better to go with the "next best thing" and spend my money on other upgrades?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

If it were me and I was going to be on the track every week it might be worth it to get them but if not I would invest in other parts.What all do you have done to the car?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go with the Konis if you have the $$$. the people who tell you they're not worth the money haven't ridden in a car with them. They have unlimited adjustment. You just keep turning a wheel to adjust them, so theres no actual # of settings. There is a full hard / full soft, but its unlimited in between. Call Sam Strano (sponsor) for the best advice you can get. -------------------------->
Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Ok, but the auto-x class only allows for two adjustments. Will the Koni's be legal?

Also, this is a little off topic, but the back end of my car seemed to be moving around a lot whe I went autocrossing. What would correct this, I was thinking tire pressure and a stronger panhard bar?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanater
Ok, but the auto-x class only allows for two adjustments. Will the Koni's be legal?

Also, this is a little off topic, but the back end of my car seemed to be moving around a lot whe I went autocrossing. What would correct this, I was thinking tire pressure and a stronger panhard bar?
Floaty-ish? Thats shocks...
Buy Konis, your only regret will be you didn't do it sooner. It will be a whole new car.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=hpjunky98;8699637]Go with the Konis if you have the $$$. the people who tell you they're not worth the money haven't ridden in a car with them. They have unlimited adjustment. You just keep turning a wheel to adjust them, so theres no actual # of settings. There is a full hard / full soft, but its unlimited in between.

I agree koni's are the best and if you have the money you can't beat them. And to the question a panhard rod will make a world of difference.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1_Fireman

I agree koni's are the best and if you have the money you can't beat them. And to the question a panhard rod will make a world of difference.

Yup and get double rod end if you can.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Floaty-ish? Thats shocks...
Buy Konis, your only regret will be you didn't do it sooner. It will be a whole new car.
What i meant was the back end of the car seems to move side to side a lot before the tires break free. The back end also seems to lean a lot more than the front.

I was also having a huge problem with busting loose around just about every corner. But Thats just a high powered rear wheel drive car right?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tires and again, a PHB will help out
Old 02-13-2008, 11:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I sell both KYB's and Koni's (and others). I also autocross, very successfully and have results to back up what I do with the setups. I would be happy to help you to setup your car, we could even build a clone of mine if you like (I've won 2 of my 4 National Championships, and 2 of my 3 ProSolo Championships in my 2001 Camaro).

Koni's are what I use, they are better then AGX's, and shocks are not a good place to save money on a car really meant to work as well as it can. Will you see a difference with AGX's? Yes, but compared to what you have you'd see a difference with most any shock. But you won't get the damping ability and overall polished damping the Koni's give you.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-13-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam is the man.....

Old 02-13-2008, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I sell both KYB's and Koni's (and others). I also autocross, very successfully and have results to back up what I do with the setups. I would be happy to help you to setup your car, we could even build a clone of mine if you like (I've won 2 of my 4 National Championships, and 2 of my 3 ProSolo Championships in my 2001 Camaro).

Koni's are what I use, they are better then AGX's, and shocks are not a good place to save money on a car really meant to work as well as it can. Will you see a difference with AGX's? Yes, but compared to what you have you'd see a difference with most any shock. But you won't get the damping ability and overall polished damping the Koni's give you.
Ok thanks, I would love to build a car just like yours but money is a huge issue. I am going to have to slowly build up my car.

Where would you start if you wanted your car to handle better? My car is completely stock right now. I have also heard a "performance allignment" is a good place to start.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I don't really recall what the car is, or what you have done. I'd recommend staring with an F-stock legal car, which is MUCH cheaper to setup (really only shocks and a front bar along with the tires). And you can build on to that, which is what I did with my car. Moved from FS to ESP.

You won't like it, but the shocks are the most major problem with the car so that's where I always start. I don't consider an alignment so much of a mod because all cars need them no matter the use. It does help, but the major issues as you drive the car down the road aren't alignment based. Shocks first, bar (front only for FS, or both for ESP cars), springs, PHB are the next items up. Though if you can swing shocks and springs at the same time it's only smart to do them together to save some installation costs.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!