Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73-77 A-bodies?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 73-77 A-bodies?

So... searching isn't landing me anything. Feel free to direct me to past threads if this has been covered.

I'm planning to put LS power in my 73 Buick Century Project. I've autocrossed it despite it being the wrong platform. I'm now into high speed autocrossing/time attacks and plan to take it there. I now made it much lighter and better looking w a custom front end (deleted the big crash absorbing bumper/mounts). I deleted the A/C. I have C5 brakes (front and back), 2" drop spindles, Global West control arms (front uppers, and rear lowers) & springs, fat sway bars, and 17x11s are going all around. I already put overdrive in (built 200-4r) and gone through the 8.5" 10-bolt (3.42s/
Eaton POSI). Now its time to get serious about the power side (and ditch the automatic).

I've been wrestling w the aluminum headed Buick 455 vs modern power plant thing. I'm certain now that the fuel injection, replacement cost, and weight reduction make an LS motor the better choice for my goals (raod racing).

Aftermarket support is pretty light on the 73-77 A-bodies. I'm hoping some of the 72-older A-body and 70-81 F-body stuff will apply(thats how I got the C5 brakes & spindles).

I'm in the homework/planning stage now. I'm hoping to gain some knowledge to get this done on a budget (so it can be done sooner) and right the 1st time (the beauty of forums is learning from others' success and mistakes-->right?).

Any relevant knowledge is welcome, but here are some topics:
1-Engine set-back I read 2nd gen camaro guys have moved the engine back, the further back and lower the better 4 me!

2-Aftermarket support

3-Other sites w 73-77 info

4-Successful 73-77 swaps

Again, any relevant info is welcome!

I love my 02 Z28 on the road coarse, I want this to be even better. I don't want to gut out or take away the Z28s road manners...thats what this car is for...think street legal nascar!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL!!! That was my first car! Got any pics???

Ron
Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 1st car also! Light blue 2-dr, fast back "350" package. I baught it w 38,000 in 1996! It was the stereo-typical "little old ladies car". Had the original bias-ply spare in the trunk, and AM radio. It was on its 2nd set of tires...I was the 3rd owner...had a book of reciepts.

I bolted on some rallys, shocks, and sways bars right away. Being able to cross rail-raod tracks at 55 w/out feeling them was nice, but I've always been about handling.

As far as pics...mst of the early ones are not digital, but I found a few from about 1997 (a buddy scanned them for me years ago)!!

Its been sitting the last few years (after getting the custom front end/suede paint). And is currently snowed in the back garage tight between the wall and Z-28. To add insult to injury its on jack stands. I sold the 17x9 SS 10 spokes (it has worn since 2002) last week. But I already have 4 315/35/17 Hoosiers for it, just deciding on the rims.

Long story short... I will get some modern pics ASAP!!

Don't believe the date-stamp, these are from 97 not 87.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

That was a fun trip down memory lane! That 3.5 floppy also had a prom (or homecoming)picture (w/ the car-naturally).
Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don`t really have a direction to point you in since I can`t think of any 73-77`s that have LSx`s in them, but there probably is at least one or two. I just don`t remember any off hand.

The f-body aluminum motor might be a good choice B/C of weight. But keep an open mind to the truck motors, your hood should have plenty of clearance of the intake and alt. Plus the accy placement on the truck should allow more setback. The f-body alt is low on the dr side and will hit the K-member if you set it back too far. The truck puts the PS pump down there and you can move the motor further back before it hits.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G-Body
But keep an open mind to the truck motors, your hood should have plenty of clearance of the intake and alt. Plus the accy placement on the truck should allow more setback. The f-body alt is low on the dr side and will hit the K-member if you set it back too far. The truck puts the PS pump down there and you can move the motor further back before it hits.
Great info...I am leaning toward truck motor (probly 6.0), or wait for a used L92...
I'm excited to hear the truck acc. drive may help in set back!!!

BTW I'd like to see the 4.3 Chevette in person some time!!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:04 AM

You may have seen the chevette already when it was a roller. I picked it up from janesville. Theres a bunch of pics of it on my fquick account.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I checked it out. I remember it for sale on MFBA, came w a 3.8 right?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Teching In

I have an Ls2 crate motor (vette pan and front accessories) in a 77 "A" body chassis. I fabbed the motor mounts using 1 in. aluminum -- this raises the motor about 1 inch and avoids a lot of problems with clearance of the accessories and pan. The next problem is body specific, namely firewall clearance. You will find that the transmissiom mounting surface on an LS series block is about 2 inches closer to the heads than a small block, so you may be limited in the amount of setback you can do. I used both parts of the original A - body mounts with my 1 in. aluminum and located them centered on the forward block bosses and everything worked fine for my application with only a minor notch in the frame crossmember and I had to custom make the Sanden AC compressor mount. The body I'm using is a 58 Bonneville.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Teching In

I forgot to tell you -- if you use a truck motor, those pans are quite deep and you will probably have to change it. There's a lot of info at Street and Performance's web site and/or get their video. Just don't be frightened off by their prices!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by subtlez28
Yeah, I checked it out. I remember it for sale on MFBA, came w a 3.8 right?
Yep. The 3.8L hit everything everywhere when I tried to put it in so I picked up a 4.3L which was amazingly easy to drop in. The rest of the car looks about the same. I Bashed/pulled/twisted the bumper straight and beat the fenders out and re-hung them. Threw a brown hood on and spray-bombed it white. Eventually I want to paint it black and silver, but for now it runs
Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice pics! It brings back memories. I bought mine in 85 with 56k on it. 2nd owner. Mine was and ugly light green w/ white half top and white interior. I dyed the top black and painted it charcoal grey. It also had aluminum slots with dirt track tires out back! LOL!

Keep us updated, very interested!

Ron
Old 02-15-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

This does bring back memories. My first car was a '74 Cutlass Supreme and trying to find suspension parts was a bitch! Everything was either up to '72 or '76 and and later. Nice ride though and good luck!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Current (not so flattering) pics

We'll I braved the sub-zero weather, broke the ice off the garage door, and took a couple of pics as the Buick sits.
Kinda sad, its pretty dusty, partially disasembled, and on jack stands (I sold the 17x9 SS 10 spokes I had on it since 2002).
It actully looks pretty good on the ground (its dropped 1 1/2" already) w the 17x9s all around...and clean...wish I had some pics of it that way. But I'll get some w it lower, meaner, and w 17x11s all around when the weather breaks.
But I wanted to show you all the new grille/front end and dechromed/detrimmed suede paint.

Still only 59,113 original miles on her.

Here are some of the parts about to go on:
(4) 315/35/17 Hoosier Slicks
C5 front/rear brakes
2" Drop spindles
Global West front Upper Control Arms
Del-a-lum bushings
Old 02-25-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

This section moves fast! I don't want this to slip into ablivion(sp?)...

Anyone have any thaughts/info/links to get me started on the manual trans swap portion? Pedals and hydraulics?

I was kinda hoping 2nd gen f-body pedals...or even better complete 4th gen pedals/hydraulics. Any ideas?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Nice to see someone else doing this swap on a forgotten a-body. I am still in the process of gathering parts for my 6.0L swap into my 75 chevelle. I love the look of that frontend! What all does it take to swap on the C5 brakes? I want bigger brakes, but not willing to spend a fortune for it. Was planning on some 12" fronts off an impala wagon, but would love 13" off a vette.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks 4 the compliment!

The C5 brake swap is very easy. It is from a company called Engineered Velocity. I don't want to break any non-sponsor rules, so I'll PM you a link. But the owner of the company (Joe) is super knowledgable and friendly. His kit fits 70-81 F-body, 73-77 A-body or older A-bodies w the "tall spindle swap". He also has kits for 3rd and 4th gen f-bodies. The best part is it used stock vette parts, so you can get replacements easily/cheaply.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I now have an (actually 4) L92 in my garage as we speak!!
Let it begin!

Plan for now:
Keep the L92 mostly stock (keep the VVT), except headers, maybe an L76 intake.
Back it w a T56 (anybody want to give me adeal on one?).
Speartech harness/ECM.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Very cool car! I always liked the '73s... I'm in to different Buicks. The nose looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one comes out!

- Kevin Oeste
Old 04-12-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update:

The parts pile has really grown!

I now have a complete, never ran, 403 HP, all aluminum, 6.2L L92 on a stand.
And a liberty faceplated T56.

Still collecting little parts for the conversion.
And still need time and good weather to get this going!

Quick Reply: 73-77 A-bodies?