A/C Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Question

Whenever I bought my car the a/c was out, just like on every other f-body out there.. Haha. Anyways, I been trying to find an a/c pump but nobody seems to have any. And if they do have one, it's like over $500. I was wondering if one off a 5.3L would fit. If not, does anyone know where I can find a good a/c pump at a good price? It's getting too damn hot. Don't wanna go during spring break without one either .. Well, unless the t-tops are off . Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

good question
Old 02-13-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Whatever you do, DO NOT GET A REMANUFACTURED ONE, they are crap!!! I just bit it and got a new compressor, accumulator, and condensor.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GunshotZ28
Whenever I bought my car the a/c was out, just like on every other f-body out there.. Haha. Anyways, I been trying to find an a/c pump but nobody seems to have any. And if they do have one, it's like over $500. I was wondering if one off a 5.3L would fit. If not, does anyone know where I can find a good a/c pump at a good price? It's getting too damn hot. Don't wanna go during spring break without one either .. Well, unless the t-tops are off . Thanks in advance.
mine works just fine

you probably mean a/c compressor, NEVER heard of it referred to as pump
Old 02-13-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

A fullsize truck compressor is incorrect due to the mounting style and the pulley differences in the forward offset of the belt routing. The only real way to fix it is using a gm dryer, compressor, and orifice tube followed by flushing the complete system. The first step is to pull the orifice tube and determine if the compressor exploded or simply leaked the refrigerant out. If the compressor exploded condensor replacement of the condensor is mandatory. This is because you cannot flush all of the crap the compressor puked into the condensor from all of the tiny curves and line passes built into it. Also being as these cars are getting up there in age you may as well change the suction discharge hose assembly because the line from the compressor to the condensor has an affinity for leaking in the rubber section.