Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! She just won't run!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! She just won't run!

I am putting an LS1 from a 2001 TA into a 1972 Datsun 240Z. I am using the stock LS1 fans, column, fuel tank, and gauges. I have it all hooked up on th garage floor. It cranks but won't fire. The fuel pump only works when the OBD scanner is plugged into the port. It still won't start. The funny thing is, the scanner shows no codes. Can that be possible since I don't have the rear O2's plugged in at all? What can I do to get this thing running? I have the GM service manual on CD-rom but I can't figure out what I am missing. Column and key should take care of the VATS and I even have the clutch pedal CPP switch hooked up. HELP PLEASE!

Old 07-13-2003, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: HELP! She just won't run!

Did you pull one of the plugs out hooked up to a plug wire and turn the motor over to see if it even has any spark at all? If so, I'd say you definately have a fuel issue...... you said you weren't getting the fuel pump to work. I'd just focus on the basics for now, the engine should still run (even if it's rough) I would think even with no 02's in back.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I had trouble getting my new motor started. I checked on the fuel rail and I wasn't getting any. It took a good while for the fuel to purge through the system. You could maybe pull the schrader fitting and dump some fuel down into the lines.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Checked for spark. It is fine. As far as fuel I pulled the line after tring to start and fuel sprayed everywhere. That was really intelligent, but I had to know if there was fuel to the rail. Someone suggested that maybe the injectors are not working. Is there anything else that would prevent them from working other than the VATS and fuses?
Old 07-14-2003, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Check to see if you are getting fuel. Pull off your fuel rail and flip it over (keeping the gas line connected). Crank the engine over and get a rag handy.

The VATs system on the BCM computer interlocks the injectors firing. If you do not have the BCM computer, or if you have not taken the necessary bypass steps to eliminate the BCM computer (namely grounding one wire), then possibly the VATs system is interlocking your injectors.

Good Luck,
Kevin
Old 07-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Teching In

OK! I will try it and see what we've got. It will be a few days before I can get to it again. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2003, 08:22 AM
Teching In

OK! I have found the problem, sort of. The fuel pump still only works when the scan tool is plugged in, that bothers me. But, have fuel to the rail but injectors are not working. The pink wire seems to have 12 Volts all the time and the blue one increases in voltage as I crank the motor. Still none of the injectors are firing. I am going to try to get a fuel pressure guage today to see how much pressure. Is it possible that all the injectors are clogged? The motor has been sitting for two years?

By the way, I do have the BCM connected.