Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! How did you get your oil pan out???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! How did you get your oil pan out???

OK here's the next project. PROJECT FIX THE PREVIOUS FUCH UPS!!

OK the crank plug was not in the center of the crank as we wished it would be. It fell into the oil pan. Wasn't on the top so ofcourse its down on the bottom. under the windage trey etc. Soooo I have to take the oil pan out. Tell me how you did this and explain it like i'm a 80yr old midget with half a brain and one arm thats drunk and high. The oil pan is already loose and down part way. We are in the middle of trying to figure out how to get the motor up. Remember that the tranny etc is out at this moment. We were in the middle of taking off the a/c compressor to remove the driverside motor mount bolt any recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated as well. Any tips etc would be welcome. Thanks post through.

Oh trying to not have to remove the pump or pick up that is to get the pan out cause of all the night mares that come with pinching messing up etc the lil seal on there that EVERYONE has trouble with. We also contemplated the Kmember lowering but don't know how to keep the motor up. The pan seems to be hitting in teh back where the oil pick up is. Geesh will this thing ever be done to run and have fun with????? After this gonna need a LS6 intake, ported TB, tuning just to get the most out of the cam. Yearly valve spring changings, why do we do this again? I forget.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: HELP! How did you get your oil pan out???

the only way I know the get the oil pan off the engine is to unbolt the motor mount bolts (two long ones) and lift the engine up away from the K-member so the oil pan can fall away.....

its going to be hard though with the tranny out as you don't have that rear support (engine will try to flop over).....
Old 07-13-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep that we've realized will suck. How about this... I think THINK i have enough room to unbolt that trey in the middle of the pan and possibly lift it up to see if i can find the crank plug. Do you think this is feasable? Or do you forsee more problems? OR imposabilities?
Old 07-13-2003, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What CamaroGuy said.... rent yourself a cherry picker and pull it up/ forward ~ 12" or so. Should be enough to clear the pick up tube/ screen, and won't flop over o you
Old 07-13-2003, 10:14 PM
TECH Veteran

what tray in the middle of the oil pan?

you mean the windage tray?

I think your asking for more trouble.......now your going to be pulling bolts inside the oil pan and I almost garonte that you will drop at least one when removing/installing.....

really....just get yourself a cherry picker and lift the engine up.....in 15 mins you will have the oil pan off.....have recovered your parts...and be putting everything back together....
Old 07-13-2003, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats it I'm gonna just set the garage on fire!!! Thanks for your help and I'll let you know how things go with my new 03 cobra I'm gonna buy with the insurance money from the "ACCIDENTAL" fire that totalled my car tonight. Anyone have a gun? I'll pull the trigger i sware all my friends are doin it!!

How about this.. oh and yes i mean the windage tray. How about I put the tranny back in and lift the front of the motor? I thought that I needed the bellhousing off to get the oil pan to come back out of the car. Let me know if i'm wrong.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

yep...that will work....

you don't need the tranny off to get the oil pan off....you just lift the engine up all the way (jack it up) and the pan will fall out.....
Old 07-13-2003, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to go off topic, but does a tubular k-member make it easier to drop the oil pan?
Old 07-13-2003, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

DAMN!!! POST JUMPERS!! LOL! Quit talking about the tubular Kmember I'm not buying one!! GEESH! LOL! I have no idea but i can find out for ya tomorrow if it makes it easier.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry to go off topic, but does a tubular k-member make it easier to drop the oil pan?

it makes it easier to remove the bolts (more room around everything) and work on the underside of the car, but you still have to raise the engine to give the oil pan enough room to drop under the pickup tube.....
Old 07-14-2003, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

What about taking the sending unit out of the passenger side of the pan and pulling the 1in diameter crank plug out?? THe horrible thing is that FN FN FN plug is not magnetic its aluminum.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you guys drunk??? cause there is no way you can put the trans back in and drop the pan. Hell the damn bellhousing bolts right to it. Leave those bolts out and the bellhousing is taking up like 6in of the back of the oil pan. Please send a freaking pick of what the heck you guys are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 01:41 AM
Restricted User

Zturd, calm down...your pulling the plug outta your oilpan is not a "secret mod" btw.

Ok, serious man. You dont have to have the bellhousing on or off, just the bolt that goes thru removed is good enough. Now, get the MF chery picker, chain it down and lift the MF engine up til it rests just under the cowl, and listen for the pan to hit the ground. Remove the plug, and anything you may have already dropped in there, clean surfaces, replace gaskets and bolt back up.
I feel your pain, and hope you dont have anymore problems man.

Charlie
Old 07-16-2003, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Same topic but different reason but can all the rod bolts be replaced doing this?
Old 07-16-2003, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why dont you just take the motor out and buy another one.This one is cursed my friend.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Magic man dont quote me but I believe you can. Heres a FYI though YOU CAN NOT TAKE THE OIL PAN OUT WITH THE BELLHOUSING IN THE WAY!!!!!!! Only way is if you are actually taking the hole motor out and or dropping the Kmember. Heres what we did... We jacked the front of the motor and the back of the motor using the oil pan with the motor mount bolts out. Raised it as far as we could then put would blocks (custom made at the time) and put the bolts back in so the motor could only fall so far it the blocks didnt work. Then lowered the pan and the motor and it came out like butter!! The motor was up about 3in and could see the world. Hope this helps. Keep in mind i'm not an expert but someone that has truthfully had one open. Theres a new question now so see my other post LOL!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

I was able to do it with my BMR k-member. I removed the alternator, crank pulley, starter, oil filter and the headers were off the car. Once the pan is unbolted, it will drop an inch. Now you need to sneak a 13mm(I think) open box wrench on the drivers side of the oil pan and undo the oil pump pick-up tube brace. Its held on by a nut on the windage tray. Let the pick-up tube fall into the pan. Once all that was off I was able to push the pan all the way foward and rotate the front of the pan towards the drivers side tire(where the alt was). Then I just had to move it back and forth while turning the pan until I cleared the bell housing. Then the pan was free. This was with a F-body, and I doubt you can do the same with the vettes.