LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why isnt there more SBC swaps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why isnt there more SBC swaps?

Just looking over some things, and if were spending all this money on converting SBC heads, why not just switch over and save some money?
Old 02-13-2008, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Solution to the problem of converting heads. Uh.. Buy heads made for a LTx in the first place.

I said the same thing awhile ago. And then just realized that there is nothing wrong with what I got. But then again I went the turbo route.

N/A or all out bar nunn no limit the SBC prolly has the edge. But if your going to all the trouble you mise well forget all the Gen1 and 2 and go build a LSx and put it in the car
Old 02-13-2008, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I wondered that too but I think its kinda cool to have a 10 second all motor LT1 over an SBC atleast IMO.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I was looking into it last year because I work with a guy that was going to give me a hell of a deal on a 400sbc and was thinking of the possibility of a huge stroker making quite a bit of power. Ended up going turbo lt1 though.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:39 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851
Just looking over some things, and if were spending all this money on converting SBC heads, why not just switch over and save some money?
Because most of these cars are still street cars and still need to pass some sort of inspection/emissions. Not only that but most people would rather deal with bolt-on performance than having to fabricate.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:32 AM
10 Second Club

to convert sbc it's only at most 500 more dollars... So i don't see that as being all that much in the scheme of things.. you can flat out get better heads for a gen 1 than a lt1.. plain and simple.. more to chooose from to suit your app is a better way of saying it...
Old 02-14-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a debate that will rage on for years to come. It is my opinion that the LT1 offers a unique design that allows you to achieve peformance and efficiency in areas that the sbc lacks. The biggest advantage is the reverse flowed heads that folks bitch about, however you cannot run a 13:1 sbc on pump gas, it just won't happen. The heads can flow as much as any other sbc head, where the real difference comes is the intake. Although the stock intake can support up to 500 hp very effectively the lack of runner length hampers torque. In extreme applications or race only you would want an intake design that is much different as torque is what gets you off the line. That being said a quick look around and you will se many builds and happy campers with their LT motors in place!
The other adavantage is the tuner capabilities that an EFI system allows you to maintain the manners you are looking for, keeping it more versatile. In the old days really all you had to do was utilize a screw driver to tune the carbs, but you could not map the a/f ratios to the exact peak that your engine required. Just as you can change an LT motor to adapt you can also change an sbc to adapt.
The major disadvantage is as we all know the opti, and there are many ways arounds it now as well.
I would say it is all a matter of what you want. To say with a definite answer one way is better than the other would be on the edge of blasphemy. Both have achieved great power numbers and durability.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorhead
The heads can flow as much as any other sbc head, where the real difference comes is the intake.
I agree with most of what you said but not this. There are sbc heads that will greatly outflow anything made for the lt1 (400+ cfm).
Old 02-14-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a debate that will rage on for years to come. It is my opinion that the LT1 offers a unique design that allows you to achieve peformance and efficiency in areas that the sbc lacks. The biggest advantage is the reverse flowed heads that folks bitch about, however you cannot run a 13:1 sbc on pump gas, it just won't happen. The heads can flow as much as any other sbc head, where the real difference comes is the intake. Although the stock intake can support up to 500 hp very effectively the lack of runner length hampers torque. In extreme applications or race only you would want an intake design that is much different as torque is what gets you off the line. That being said a quick look around and you will se many builds and happy campers with their LT motors in place!
The other adavantage is the tuner capabilities that an EFI system allows you to maintain the manners you are looking for, keeping it more versatile. In the old days really all you had to do was utilize a screw driver to tune the carbs, but you could not map the a/f ratios to the exact peak that your engine required. Just as you can change an LT motor to adapt you can also change an sbc to adapt.
The major disadvantage is as we all know the opti, and there are many ways arounds it now as well.
I would say it is all a matter of what you want. To say with a definite answer one way is better than the other would be on the edge of blasphemy. Both have achieved great power numbers and durability.

My engine builder runs his 14.5:1 383sbc on 93 sunoco. Ive seen quite a bit of ppl run into the 14's on the alum. sbc heads. Ive always been told the key is a long duration to high comp. so it can bleed it off. How does the reverse flow make it better to run higher comp?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cools heads first, helps to resist detonation by lowering combustion temps ^^. IMO the only major plus to a gen1 SBC is availability of parts, and of course price. LT1 is an awesome engine, and in my opinion if the opti is treated as a maintenance item it generally doesnt fail. 90% of opti failure is due to some form of leak that was not addressed (example: coolant pump, intake gaskets, etc etc...) or worn bearings. everyone says rear distributors are so much better, but i have changed just as many due to bad bushings in them. i looked into a carb engine swap, but clearance with the cowl and everything else has to be taken into consideration. plus, i enjoy my drivability and fuel economy with injection
Old 02-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I love fuel injection only because my dad hates it lol!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with most of what you said but not this. There are sbc heads that will greatly outflow anything made for the lt1 (400+ cfm).
They make the 32 valve heads for the LT1 too, if that is the ones you are referring to. If not excuse my ignorance on that.

My engine builder runs his 14.5:1 383sbc on 93 sunoco. Ive seen quite a bit of ppl run into the 14's on the alum. sbc heads. Ive always been told the key is a long duration to high comp. so it can bleed it off. How does the reverse flow make it better to run higher comp?
Thats hard to believe. Is he adding kerosene to it or any other additive because otherwise I cannot see how he is avoiding ping/detonation. I surely wouldn't try it!
As stated above the reverse flow cools the heads first staving off detonation and that allows for higher CR.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:31 AM
TECH Junkie

They make the 32 valve heads for the LT1 too, if that is the ones you are referring to. If not excuse my ignorance on that.

Thats hard to believe. Is he adding kerosene to it or any other additive because otherwise I cannot see how he is avoiding ping/detonation. I surely wouldn't try it!
As stated above the reverse flow cools the heads first staving off detonation and that allows for higher CR.
Hes a fucken peice of **** scam, no one is getting heads from that ******* so please dont bring up the 32 valve guy
Old 02-15-2008, 02:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm talking about all kinds. The aftermarket for SBC heads is huge, and there are a lot of choices better than what's typically available on the lt1.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats hard to believe. Is he adding kerosene to it or any other additive because otherwise I cannot see how he is avoiding ping/detonation.

Nope all he runs is straight 93. I never knew that about the reverse flow cooling good to know.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:32 AM
TECH Resident

If I wanted to run a gen 1 sbc, the 4th gen F-body would be way way down on the list of cars that I would run it in.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hes a fucken peice of **** scam, no one is getting heads from that ******* so please dont bring up the 32 valve guy
Noted
I'm talking about all kinds. The aftermarket for SBC heads is huge, and there are a lot of choices better than what's typically available on the lt1.
Thats true.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:10 AM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

you could also pull a bit of timing to help reduce the risk of detonation. but i know i wouldn't care to try that, hence my motor staying at a tick over 11:1 ratio.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes there is a hige aftermarket for Gen 1 SBCs but much of that stuff works in LT1s. The LT1's injection is a big plus over the stuff offered on most gen 1 motors. It allows us good control and drivability with some serious power.
The LT1 heads in competent hands have proven to deliver enough power for almost anyone, few of the guys who swear they needed gen 1 aftermarket castings endup running any better than guys who do things well with LT1 castings.

The LT1 intake is often knocked as being too short a runner but if you look at RESULTS rather than just theory there are cars making big torque. Theory says the LS engines with the long runner should be the torque monster but most LS guys who have driven LT1s say what torque monsters they are.

The single biggest limitation of the LT1 package is the 7-7200rpm limit and that is not the engine itself.

As someone aluded too a sbc with a rear mounted distrbutor is a PITA with the engine being practically under the windsheild.

Quick Reply: Why isnt there more SBC swaps?