Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Horrible knock that went away...WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Horrible knock that went away...WTF?

Had the car on jackstands for a week re-wiring my STS oil relays + cleaning the turbo pipes. At the end of the week, started the car. Heard a LOUD (and I mean LOUD) tick/knocking from the engine. Thought a rod was knocking or a lifter collapsed. Turned car off. Checked everything. Couldn't find a prob. Turned car on.....no loud knock, just a softer tick, like valvetrain noise. WTF?

Drove car next day. Sitting at Starbucks drivethrough and heard softer knock echoing off drive-through. Got scared. Had computer so began scanning. HP Tuners detected NO knock at idle or any RPM/driving condition. Car has power out the a$$ at WOT. Still hear the tapping (possibly echo from LT headers?)

In short, wonder if something is going sour on the engine or if it's a noisy valvetrain. No knock retard, no oil consumption, no loss of power..... but quite a lot of engine noise (ticking), especially at idle.

Any $0.02 appreciated
Old 02-13-2008, 09:03 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has the oil pressure changed any? Loose convertor bolts?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a very similiar problem happen to me . after being under the car with it running i narrowed it down to the starter area. i sent the starter off to be rebuilt, there was to much play in the bendix and it was hitting the flywheel. installed repaired starter noise gone. scared the **** out of me.....
Old 02-13-2008, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
Has the oil pressure changed any? Loose convertor bolts?

Oil pressure is good. Man trans so no converter bolts.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

in rare occasions, the flywheel can come loose, make you think its a rod-i bought a perfect engine sold as a rod knock, was the flywheel-only time in my life i got a deal, lol
Old 02-14-2008, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by forcd ind
in rare occasions, the flywheel can come loose, make you think its a rod-i bought a perfect engine sold as a rod knock, was the flywheel-only time in my life i got a deal, lol
Possibly. I installed the flywheel myself a couple years ago...torqued to 58ft/lbs I think. Used ARP bolts w/ Red Locktite...... but it's a start if I can't find anything else. BTW, flywheel and clutch are balanced as a unit from Textralia, but it's the old OZ700 clutch that uses the stock iron flywheel.

Quick Reply: Horrible knock that went away...WTF?