LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Valvetrain Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:36 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LT1 Valvetrain Questions

I read this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=11/32 a while ago, but it didn't quite answer all my questions.

I'm looking into installing LS1 valves in LT1 heads because it's my best budget option of installing larger valves and acquiring better flow at the same time. I already have a set of LS1 valves and access to a decently priced machine shop.

Questions:
1. Stock LS1 valves are 4.915 inches and 8mm. What are the length of stock LT1 valves? I know they are 11/32 and I read in another thread that the typical length used in ported stock heads is 4.911.

2. If it is 4.911 what will the extra .004 inches affect, if anything? What would be involved in rectifying that? Basically, I'd just have to shim the springs?

3. I plan on using comp magnum NSA rockers. Will I have any problems using a rocker designed for a 11/32 stem on a 8mm stem if I use guideplates?

4. I plan on using patriot golds. I shouldn't have any problems if I use a LS1 set of springs?

5. What are the dimensions of LT1 valve guides?

6. I have a 93 and am new to this LT1 thing. Timing chain wise I'm looking for a replacement. I'm having a hell of a time deciding / figuring out what I need. I'll be using a 230/236 .510/.520 112LSA comp cam. I plan on driving it like it was meant to be driven, hard.

7. Random, but does anyone have weight comparisons between commonly used aftermarket valve springs and retainers? Overall I'd like to use a set of 918s, but oddly enough they are going to cost about $150 more, but if the weight is that large of a difference I'll save for a little longer. All I have so far is a comp 918 titanium retainer weighs 8 grams and a PRC dual spring titanium retainer weighs 11 grams.

I think that should about cover it. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who is doing the work you or the machine shop ? If its the machine shop and they say they can do it then let them do it.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by mtperformance
Who is doing the work you or the machine shop ? If its the machine shop and they say they can do it then let them do it.
The machine shop will be installing the guides, milling the heads, and cutting the seats for larger valves. The rest of the work will be done by my friend and I to save costs. I'm just trying to figure out what I will need to order.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:18 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

bump...
Old 02-18-2008, 10:45 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Someone's got to know at least the length of stock LT1 valves???
Old 02-24-2008, 04:11 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Ok, I found this link:

http://www.totalengineairflow.com/te...ainweights.php

LS1 Valve Weights:
GM Stock int valve 2.000 8mm 101.1 grams
GM Stock exh valve 1.55 8mm 87.3 grams

Retainers:
GM Stock LS1/LS6 ret 11.3
Comp CC 772 Stock Dia Tit Ret (918) 7.2
Patriot Gold Retainer = ????

Springs:
Comp CC 918 Single spring 73.1g
Patriot Gold Spring = ????

Locks:
GM Stock locks 2.5g
Comp 7 deg locks 3.2g
Patriot 7 degree locks = ????

I guess I'm going to call patriot and get the weights of their parts.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried the patriot xtreme kit awhile ago but the seals they supplied wouldn't even come close to fitting my guides, and the fel-pros I picked up from the parts store wouldn't fit inside the inner spring so I couldn't use them. And just because the valves have the same length doesn't mean the springs will have the same installed height since there are a ton of variables.

And what cam are you going to run with the patriot golds? LT1 valves are alot heavier than LS1 valves so you might run into problems.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:02 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I tried the patriot xtreme kit awhile ago but the seals they supplied wouldn't even come close to fitting my guides, and the fel-pros I picked up from the parts store wouldn't fit inside the inner spring so I couldn't use them. And just because the valves have the same length doesn't mean the springs will have the same installed height since there are a ton of variables.

And what cam are you going to run with the patriot golds? LT1 valves are alot heavier than LS1 valves so you might run into problems.
Well, first off thanks for replying. The cam I plan on running has changed. It'll now be a tamer turbo grind versus a lumpy NA cam. I know the patriot gold kit will work on LT1 valves. They might have sent you 8mm valve seals?

Ideally I'd like to run the lighest spring package that'll handle the cam and boost. Obviously that's going to be the 918 spring kit, it's just more expensive. I'm going to have to check into more technical data such as the installed height and do some more research. I'll probably just call Patriot to get the weights and someone like Lloyd Elliot for the rest of the info as this section hasn't been the most helpful. I'll post up my results regardless so people will have the information in the future.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Well, first off thanks for replying. The cam I plan on running has changed. It'll now be a tamer turbo grind versus a lumpy NA cam. I know the patriot gold kit will work on LT1 valves. They might have sent you 8mm valve seals?

Ideally I'd like to run the lighest spring package that'll handle the cam and boost. Obviously that's going to be the 918 spring kit, it's just more expensive. I'm going to have to check into more technical data such as the installed height and do some more research. I'll probably just call Patriot to get the weights and someone like Lloyd Elliot for the rest of the info as this section hasn't been the most helpful. I'll post up my results regardless so people will have the information in the future.
First they sent me an LS1 kit, then they sent me an LT1 kit. The hardware and springs fit the heads, but the seals would not fit over the guides. Then the guides I got from the parts store fit over my guides fine, but the inner spring wouldn't clear the vavle stem seal. I know one other guy was having the same problems as me at the time and he had to get the guides machined down.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:50 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Questions:
1. Stock LS1 valves are 4.915 inches and 8mm. What are the length of stock LT1 valves? I know they are 11/32 and I read in another thread that the typical length used in ported stock heads is 4.911.

2. If it is 4.911 what will the extra .004 inches affect, if anything? What would be involved in rectifying that? Basically, I'd just have to shim the springs?

3. I plan on using comp magnum NSA rockers. Will I have any problems using a rocker designed for a 11/32 stem on a 8mm stem if I use guideplates?

4. I plan on using patriot golds. I shouldn't have any problems if I use a LS1 set of springs?

5. What are the dimensions of LT1 valve guides?

6. I have a 93 and am new to this LT1 thing. Timing chain wise I'm looking for a replacement. I'm having a hell of a time deciding / figuring out what I need. I'll be using a 230/236 .510/.520 112LSA comp cam. I plan on driving it like it was meant to be driven, hard.

7. Random, but does anyone have weight comparisons between commonly used aftermarket valve springs and retainers? Overall I'd like to use a set of 918s, but oddly enough they are going to cost about $150 more, but if the weight is that large of a difference I'll save for a little longer. All I have so far is a comp 918 titanium retainer weighs 8 grams and a PRC dual spring titanium retainer weighs 11 grams.

I think that should about cover it. Thanks for the help.

I'd like to thank Lloyd Elliot for answering questions 1-6, being extremely helpful, and knowledgable.

1. All a matter of installed height. Both comp 918s and patriot golds utilize a 1.800 installed height.

2. See answer 1

3. No problem what so ever

4. No problem

5. Just order LT1 guides in 8mm

6. Stock replacement or... You can convert to a newer opti and use those style or use an electric water pump and gen one SBC timing chains.

He said once you have the guides in you can use a beehive style spring with your stock LT1 retainers, but you'll need a comp 4705x16 locator.

I'd like to thank the guy at Speed Inc I talked to in the service department that went and weighed the valve spring components for me. I called a lot of different sponsors and none of them knew the weights. Thanks to Speed Inc for pulling through.

Patriot Gold springs = 93 grams
Patriot Gold retainers = 9 grams
Patriot Gold locks = 7 grams

Hopefully this will help someone out in the future who plans on doing the same setup or is looking for the weight of individual valve train components. When I get to this stage I'll post pictures in my 93 project thread.

EDIT: Also while I was searching around for spring data I came upon the LS6 springs. They might be a really good option for guys looking to do this and use a cheap spring that'll handle .550 lift.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 02-25-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: LT1 Valvetrain Questions