Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

416 Stroker ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gen4 based 416 Stroker - LS1 ECM help?

Hi there

I am getting a 416 CI LS2 (L92 block) built for an engine swap that I will be having done. I have got to the point where I need to make some decisions about what ECM I will use.

Now I want to use an LS1/6 ECM and keep the ability to run sequential injection/ignition, I do have some worry about emissions and I do like the idea of the logging functions that the OEM ECM has. But because I am based in the UK tuning for the ECM is limited so getting a good base tune is quite important to me.

From what I have read the 2000 onward LS1 ECM (GM part#12200411) is the best ECM to get and have modded but I am not sure whether or not the ECM can be programmed with a tune which would be good enough to safely run in the engine before it is installed into the car.

-Has anybody used the ECM I have mentioned above to run a stroker LS2 based motor like I am having built?

And if so has anybody used mail order tunes like from speartech or wait4me?

-From what I have read there seem to be "loads" of people using reflashed LS1 ECMs for what looks like stock cube swap engine applications (with or without bolt ons) but I haven't really seen that many examples of stroker engine setups using the GM ECM (maybe I haven't looked hard enough?)

Thanks in advance for any help!

My Engine:
Stock LS2 243 heads + YT 1.8x rockers + will have PAC springs
stock complete ls2 intake (will have Holley 90mm tb)
Stock LS2 cam
L92 block
4" stroke crank giving 416 ci (if I use the )
Not decided pistons or rods yet. (thinking howards rods/diamond pistons)
Sensors and cam gear etc will be set up for the LS1 ECM if I finally decide on it.

Rob.

PS if this in the wrong forum Sorry!

Last edited by UKRob; 02-15-2008 at 03:46 AM. Reason: have read up some more and changed title & question slightly
Old 02-15-2008, 03:48 AM
Staging Lane

Bumped- Added some more info to the question hope some one can chime in
Thanks Rob
Old 02-15-2008, 03:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with that combination, the 2000 computer will have no problems handling that motor, as long as its tune properly.

also if you send me the PCM i can put a nice base tune on it, or i can get you a pcm and put a base tune on it for you
Old 02-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

Okay I am not quite yet in a position to buy the ECM yet, I am still collecting information about what is needed to support the ECM and what I need to ask to get the flashed with the right systems turned and off but I think the LS1 ECM is seeming like a much stronger bet. I want to get the ECM and a Hharness last when everything else is on the engine and all I need is to plug everything together and then run in the engine. I will also be trying to get a suitably modified harness at the same time as getting the ECM reflashed.

The way I understand it to get a good tune I would have to provide as much information as I can about my engine setup - now thats no problem except for the fact that I don't know all the different infomation I have give!

So what kind of information should I be looking to know so that I can provide and to get the best possible tune?

Engine Specs? - this will depend on the final build so all I have is what I have listed in the first post.
Wide band Closed loop control?
Fuel grade to be used? Euro 95 Oct = US 91 Oct regular?
VATS turned off.
Alternator control?
AC control?
PS control?
Manual gearbox ?? I know that the Camaros use the T56 but I will be using a TKO-600 any difference?
What other systems does the ECM provide that could be customised or need to be turned off ?
What is possible in terms of refining the tune when my car is up and running?

If there is a web site which has this kind of informaiton where I can do some more research on this I would appreciate a link or at least a better search term if possible?

Thanks
Rob