Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Wiring question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wiring question.

For those of you who did the a4 to m6 swap, when you got to the wiring part of the job, where did most of the wiring work occur at?
I read the the stickies and also the gm high tech article on this job, but most of it is somewhat vague. If anyone could tell me what part of the car is involved for any particular wiring operation that would be great. The parts in question are the neutral saftey switch reverse lights and hatch release.

thanks again
Old 02-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to tell you this but it's all in the sticky.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes but my question is do the wires come out of the harness that connects to the auto shift linkage or do they come out of the big connector that connects to the transmission?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned

Well here you go.
Save yourself the trouble and don't run those green wires under the carpet to the clutch pedal/neutral safety switch, run the from the switch to a thin purple wire and a thin green wire found in the harness right behind the panel under the steering column and to the left. And cap them off under the console.

EDIT---WRONG PIC AT FIRST.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
yes but my question is do the wires come out of the harness that connects to the auto shift linkage or do they come out of the big connector that connects to the transmission?
I guess you can see now they come from under the console.

nothing from the old trans wiring is used. If you want proper cruise control, and the reverse lock out solenoid to work properly you will need to add two pins to the vcm.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info. Reverse lock out is no big deal for me, but what do you mean by proper cruise control?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

My cruise works fine, TCS works fine, I never wired anything up to the clutch pedals. If you really super absolutely need your cruise to disengage by pressing the clutch I would call you obsessive. I really don't care about pressing the clutch to start the car either, I do it by habit. I just wired the P/N lockout together and called it a day, kill all the codes in HPtuners and everything works great.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet. Good to hear that. Did your TCS start working again once you flashed it over to an M6 tune?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

I know arc00TA did not reflash his vcm. Everything on my car worked fine until I reflashed it to an M6 tune with HPTuners. It needs to be reflashed, there are too many differences to just run an A4 tune with an M6.

Obsessive? lol it took about 10 minutes to run the wires from the vcm, under the dash and one to the clutch pedal anticipation switch the other to the reverse lock out solenoid. It's called diligencehttp://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+diligence You look at my car, drive it, do whatever you want with it and you'd swear it came from the factory with a M6. In other words it's not a hack job.
And another thing if you get it inspected to run at any track you need a neutral safety switch.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man the tracks you go to must be hardcore on the inspection department. Where did you go to pick up a clutch anticipation switch. Also is the only function of that switch to disengage the cruise when you hit the cluth pedal?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Banned

I got all my parts off a donor car.
You can do without a lot of stuff, in fact if you choose you can open your hatch with a key, have no reverse lights , etc. All depends on how right vs how rigged you want it.

I'm glad my track checks for a neutral safety switch, I don't know of too many people who would want the guy behind them to run into their car by accident. Sure I've raced some cars that I wouldn't care.

Bottom line is I like to do things right.

And those aren't my pictures btw.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
I know arc00TA did not reflash his vcm. Everything on my car worked fine until I reflashed it to an M6 tune with HPTuners. It needs to be reflashed, there are too many differences to just run an A4 tune with an M6.

Obsessive? lol it took about 10 minutes to run the wires from the vcm, under the dash and one to the clutch pedal anticipation switch the other to the reverse lock out solenoid. It's called diligencehttp://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+diligence You look at my car, drive it, do whatever you want with it and you'd swear it came from the factory with a M6. In other words it's not a hack job.
And another thing if you get it inspected to run at any track you need a neutral safety switch.
You don't need to be a tool about it, the guy asked for opinions. It does not take a rocket scientist to go in and copy and paste all the differences from an M6 tune into the A4 tune, and only took around 45 minutes instead of ruining what I already had for SD and spending another $100 on credits. I didn't do the switches because my car is a DD and I ran out of time, and now that I decided everything works I don't think I will bother with them. I applaud you for taking the time to be meticulous and get everything exactly as it would be from the factory, but I'm not as concerned with mine as its an ongoing project. I can understand the track perspective, but mine will never see a track so thats not high on my list of to-dos. Did I hit a nerve by saying "obsessive"? Are you OCD and don't like that term? (serious question no sarcasm here)
Old 02-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

Nope. I just don't like when people get the two mixed up. Obsessive vs doing things right. http://www.google.com/search?q=defin...lsive+disorder
Old 02-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
It does not take a rocket scientist to go in and copy and paste all the differences from an M6 tune into the A4 tune, and only took around 45 minutes instead of ruining what I already had for SD and spending another $100 on credits.
Why would you need to spend $100 on credits?
I went to the bin repository, got a M6 tune, copied and pasted my vin and mods to it. Did I strike a nerve by saying hack? Seriously, no sarcasm intended.
BTW I had to reply again because I have OCD
Old 02-16-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
So which is it? You totally reflashed it or you copied and pasted like I did? I'm confused now. Saying its a hack job implies that there was a messiness to it so I really can't take offense to that, other than switches not being hooked up you couldn't tell my car wasn't a factory M6. I usually think of hondas with bondo body kits and duct tape when I hear hack job. BTW how did you hook up your reverse lockout?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Launching!

^^^^ other than switches being hooked up. the would indicate not from the factory pretty quickly. and pin 44 and pin 32 need to be tapped in the vcm get a manual and it shows all the schematics. dont forget the diode on the reverse lock out or you have a toasty fried vcm
Old 02-16-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really? How? Unless you try to start the car on a regular basis with the clutch out you would actually never know. I'm looking at other ways to hook up the reverse lockout, mainly because I've already removed it and just want to try something different.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Banned

I downloaded a whole M6 bin, put my vin and mods onto it and used HPTuners to 'put' that bin into my vcm--whatever you call that.
For the reverse lock out IIRC I ran a key on 12v wire to the solenoid, the wire that goes to the vcm is a ground, I just put a pin off another car on the wire and poked it through the seal on the connector at the vcm. It clipped right in place like the other ones. I did put a diode in the circuit too.
I have notes somewhere but it should be posted in the sticky too.
I just moved and have no idea where my notes are.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, was just curious.