Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS turbo on a lowered car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS turbo on a lowered car?

alright, i started my new job, with it comes the fun new job stuff. more opportunity, more money, fresh starts, and more importantly, room in my budget for a turbo.

i have a lowered 2000 trans am and ive been lookin at the sts turbo kits. I was wondering if i could hear back from anyone that has these on a lowered setup, i want to know about lag, bottom out issues, and sucking in water. it seems like that would be a risk with the air intake back there.
any problems i wanna know about, cuz its kind of a big investment to leave on the side of the road if you know what i mean
Old 02-14-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have an sts setup on my car but the only advice I can give you is to try doing a search specifically in the Forced Induction section, I remember seeing a HUGE thread awhile back specifically dedicated to Q's & A's in regards to STS Turbo setups.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine's lowered. The two lowest points in the system are the pipe under the k-member and the pipe under the driver's side rear lca. Depends on what you're willing to drive around instead of over. Right now my car won't go over a speed bump. The front pipe will ride up with the front wheels, but the rear one will hit before the tire goes up.

Also if I have a flat tire, the pipe will probably be on the ground.

I have a shield around the filter and it should block most of the spray. That's independent of being lowered though.

Last edited by John_D.; 02-19-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: the second b in "probably" had disappeared somehow... I don't talk like that. Really. No really. :)
Old 02-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Launching!

do you think there would be any way to tuck the pipes up further then they are in their kit or is it kind of a this is how its got to be situation.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

your lowest pipe will be at the rear of the car where the pipe over the axle mates with the subframe pipe that attaches to the chassis. also a low spot will be where the pipe turns to go up towards the engine

the rear pipe (After over the axle) can be adjusted by about 2inches
Old 02-14-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kail
do you think there would be any way to tuck the pipes up further then they are in their kit or is it kind of a this is how its got to be situation.
There's some adjusting you can do but not much. The pipe that goes under the rear lca has to have enough clearance to let the lca move down when the wheel moves down.

I'm eventually going to run my front pipe up between the engine and the k-member. There's barely enough room to do this, and only because I switched to solid engine mounts. There wouldn't be enough space with stock mounts.

I got a little more clearance with the rear pipe when I changed over to aluminum rod-ended lca's instead of the stock u-channel ones. I also modified the rear end of the STS supplied rocker panel pipe so that now I'm crossing under the lca closer to the lca pivot at the body end, and I don't get quite as much lca movement at that point.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

i just got mine tucked up, post pics soon....but john d has the most clearance i seen on a lowered car......
Old 02-17-2008, 07:44 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I have a lot of pic's here that will let you see what you're up against. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32
Old 02-17-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

perfect solution for all your answers.....
Old 02-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Launching!

^^thanks for that. if i had found the specific answer i wanted in the search, do you think that i would have posted a new thread....

to the rest of you though, thank you and i appreciate your input. ive decided on a twin turbo setup, so the sts kit isnt getting bought.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:07 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

^^thanks for that. if i had found the specific answer i wanted in the search, do you think that i would have posted a new thread....

to the rest of you though, thank you and i appreciate your input. ive decided on a twin turbo setup, so the sts kit isnt getting bought.
Smart move! Bob
Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

As I was reading the thread, I was debating posting "don't buy it, go with a different setup". Now that you have, I can definitely post.

No offense to those running an STS kit, but on an F-body there's just a lot of drawbacks to both the design and the execution. If I were to go turbo, I'd look at TTi and APS setups.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

So how much ground clearance do you lowered guys with the STS kit have at the two lowest points? How far are you lowered?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWS
As I was reading the thread, I was debating posting "don't buy it, go with a different setup". Now that you have, I can definitely post.

No offense to those running an STS kit, but on an F-body there's just a lot of drawbacks to both the design and the execution. If I were to go turbo, I'd look at TTi and APS setups.
yeah i totally agree the STS kit i have hasnt given me any trouble for three years, i have more clearance than the APS kit gives you and the APS kit is shitting out turbine wheels from the housing. i definately would not go rear mount.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:58 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

^ I guess it doesn't help to say "no offense". Somebody is always looking to get offended.

If you are having good results with STS, then more power to you. Have fun and smoke some Cobras. I just wouldn't go that route if I was going to turbo an F-body.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWS
^ I guess it doesn't help to say "no offense". Somebody is always looking to get offended.

If you are having good results with STS, then more power to you. Have fun and smoke some Cobras. I just wouldn't go that route if I was going to turbo an F-body.

its nothing personal with you sorry, just tired after three years of constant mis-informed people making judgements about rear mount kits. the only point i was trying to make was all kits have problems , none come as a bolt on no problem kit. Prochargers overheat, Front mount turbos usually lose A/C , STS has an oil return, APS hangs to low, etc etc. all of us that have chosen Forced Induction have had to make mods to our cars for the kit to reach its potential.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:52 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by smoke20
its nothing personal with you sorry, just tired after three years of constant mis-informed people making judgements about rear mount kits. the only point i was trying to make was all kits have problems , none come as a bolt on no problem kit. Prochargers overheat, Front mount turbos usually lose A/C , STS has an oil return, APS hangs to low, etc etc. all of us that have chosen Forced Induction have had to make mods to our cars for the kit to reach its potential.

No argument here. Have yet to find the "perfect" kit with zero flaws, drawbacks, or compromises. I guess I would say I prefer some kits over STS as the lesser of the evils so to speak.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
So how much ground clearance do you lowered guys with the STS kit have at the two lowest points? How far are you lowered?
I have 3" for the front pipe, 3 1/4" for the rear pipe. There is a silicone coupler on both that is the lowest point.

Fender heights are 26 3/4" - 27".

The front rides pretty stable with the 600 lb/in springs I have on it, so that helps.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by John_D.
I have 3" for the front pipe, 3 1/4" for the rear pipe. There is a silicone coupler on both that is the lowest point.

Fender heights are 26 3/4" - 27".

The front rides pretty stable with the 600 lb/in springs I have on it, so that helps.

hey john d thanks for the pics....help out what i need to get that clearance....your pipe that comes off your fmic seems really low.....or is that just the angle
Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

The fmic is sitting kind of low, so that's part of it. But even so, the lowest part is still the part under the k-member. It angles uphill to the fmic from there. So the camera angle in the pics I emailed you is probably making it look lower than it is (at the fmic).

Quick Reply: STS turbo on a lowered car?