LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What to do/change when baught a used car??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do/change when baught a used car??

ok this weekend i should be picking up my 95 firebird, with a built 383 and sts turbo. what should i change on it? what fluids? i know the kid that owns it and he takes decent car of his car. but its a used car and i dont know everything about it. what would you do?
Old 02-15-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

change the oil, check trans fluid, diff fluid, and coolant. You also may want to pull the spark plugs and check gap and wear on those. I would also check out the turbo for shaft play and oil blowby. Just give the car a really good check over and cleaning. It will be better to find a small problem now, plus then you will know what you are working with.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do i go about checking the trans fluid? also what gab do you recomend for a turbo lt1?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am assumings its a 6 spd, you have to pull the fill plug out of the trans. the best way to check it is to just stick your finger inside the trans, you should touch fluid almost immeadaitely. if it is lower than that you need to add some fluid. I am not sure on what gap you should use. It will really depend on what heat range the plug is and how much boost and all that you are running.

Quick Reply: What to do/change when baught a used car??