Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

cam question for my turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cam question for my turbo

i planned on running my old ms3......despite all odds and openions.....
a buddy is getting rid of a patriot
225/229 580/590 on a 114lsa

how much better would that be for my set up than the ms3

all responces appreciated
Old 02-15-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The more I read the more it gets confusing as it seems everyone and anyone has an opinion about the best turbo cam. And most of the time they have some very different opinions. It also depends on what you want from the cam. Do you want it to be lumpy?
Do you want more top end power or more bottom and midrange? I went to the boosted lists and looked at what successful guys have been running and although many keep their cam specs secret or maybe don't know them quite a few big guys are running pretty mild cams.
I have heard repeatedly that the turbos don't need big cams. I have seen articles of big turbo cars with big cams .LIngenfelter for years stayed with pretty small cams in their famous twin turbo cars even their 427 cars. It seems they mostly used the gt2-3 and now the gt7 in their stuff. You can check out their specs on the lingenfelter site.
APS is running their gt11. Many guys seem to be running custom cams. Some like 114 lsa and even lower. Some like reverse splits.Some like tight splits..some more loose.
The main point I guess it that all sorts of cams make pretty good power in turbo cars.
Some of the stock z06 do very well and a few of the lingenfelter cams are very close to z06 specs.
I think am going with gt7 that already have. Might put in new edelbrock two piece quick change cover in case feel the need to go bigger later. Course you go big .600 and over especially and they say you will be changing out springs every 25,000 or even sooner.
That is big pain to me so think will try a bit smaller cam first and then move up only if don't meet my power goals.
I have a MTI b1 currently that could also use. It was supposed to be a great nitrous,na cam but should work ok for turbo. its 221/221/558/558/114lsa.
I decided don't need to hear any chop with my turbo car so the gt 2-3,gt7 and gt11 all have very smooth idles.Wish they would offer the gt-11 in a bit less lift . Maybe should just get one custom made.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

thats the thing.....i want the big agressive sound....regardless of the cam the car is still going to be fast.....but more often than not i hear not to use the ms3......guys that are still running huge cams are using a front mount kit....hell one guy is running a ms4 with a turbo car......but front mount kit....not sts
i also understand the concept of why "not" to run the ms3.....the duration will be open so long that i will be creating boost and spitting it out at the same time....
i just want to have everything
bad *** cam sound...
turbo sound....
bov sound....
and the view of the fmic on the car....
i dont want a 700 hp trailer car...just something thats cool to cruise to some shows......go out on the weekends and possibly drive to work on some nice days....

know what i mean

btw...i also know everyone is tired of hearing about this too......but this is the reason i look for advice/opinions on this site so please no bashing
Old 02-15-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boot leadfoot. I love a choppy sounding idle. I'm probably going to just go with a custom grind once I get my car altogether. Once you have your heads, intake, and power goals and RPM range down, you can easily have someone grind you one that will give you the sound you want.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

and i know that the sound of the car shouldnt be the goal.......but i am not going to sacrafice it after having it in the past......espically hearing a turbo behind that lope!!!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

i want to hear more
Old 02-24-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

i also want to hear more about this, i am geting ready to do a turbo setup but i love the big cam the way it idles and sounds. BUT if this is not going to help me make more power then so be it.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had great results with a BIG reverse split cam......for the choppy idle lovers out there, lol!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

Do a search for posts by a member named Scotty $T$ He had a 383 sts setup and the cam sounded bad ***. I think EPP was the ones who built the car and have pis/video of it on their site.

Quick Reply: cam question for my turbo