Craigs List Scam

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Craigs List Scam

Hey guys, I just wanted to post this:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/569364676.html

The reason it's not in the for sale section is because I'm 9/10 sure it's a scam. I sent the guy an e-mail, and he said he is getting divorced and needs the money. He said the money would be sent via WorldPay for security. Actually here is the e-mail:

Hi,

Thanks for being interested in buying my 2000 Pontiac Firebird .
It is in a good condition,clean title, no scratches,no damages,never been implicated in any accidents,no problems at the engine,runs very well.Title is clean and clear.The only thing because i am selling it so low $7,200 ,is because of my recent divorce.The transaction will be made through WorldPay for our own protection.
If you wish to go on,please get back to me and give me
your full name and your address.

I am waiting for your response with any questions you
may have.
Richie
I looked it up online and here is what I found... It's a new scamming trend.

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=12396

Multiple people multiple places, all done on craigs list.

Anyway, I just thought I would let you know. I got to looking at the pictures in the ad, and I don't know anywhere in Philly that looks like that, or has those kind of plants.

And before I submitted the post I decided to search e-bay's completed listings.

http://tinylink.com/?c5IME999kb

So, just be on the lookout for scams like this. I posted this on www.epfba.org and thought it was pertinent here also.

-Gary
Old 02-15-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is an FBI website where you can report internet crime. I cannot remember the name offhand but I think it starts with an "I".

Funny thing, I have a car scam incident of my own

I posted a car here for sale 2 years ago and got a bite from Alberta, Canada. we get talking and I try emailing him some pics as per his email addy he gave me. we'll it bounced. He sent a Bank Check, legit but upon investigating further (you 'd must be on crack buying my '78 Grand LeMans sight unseen ) the company that verifies the funds was not printed on the check and the address # of the street was off and was not a bank in looking up bank address in maquest (somewhere in the midwest). We'll anyways, the email bounced and I got the check but !~$20,000 more than what I had asked for so that screamed scam. I looked up the guys name using "in Canada" hoping that some site had his email address, to talk about the the overcompensating check. Well, lo' and behold, that the guy's name was one of the FBI's TOP 10 most wanted (How stupid can you get ) Apparently the guy of that name KILLED a couple of of people in an armed car robbery. His last whereabouts and last contact, from leaving behind all warm weather clothes and stating he wouldn't need them anymore, led the FBI to believe most likely the guy is in Central Canada (Alberta !) . (plus a little investigation was that he UPS'd from a print shop in alberta)

I called the the tip line, and got in touch with the investigators in Arizona. The next day, they had an FBI agent come out and interview me, and collect the envelope, and bank check (I barely touched them) for reference. The agent agreed most likely it was a scam but as this guy used the same exact name of a TOP 10 most wanted individual that fled to the same region, he is at, safe to say, the FBI were going to contact the mounties in order to contact/track this guy down to "interview" him at least safe to say this time, one scammer was in really hot water - this was 2 years ago, never heard anything more since

look into that FBI internet crime site, and fill out the info for that listing so if/when this guy gets caught a criminal history is built up

Last edited by Rhode Island Red; 02-15-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Anytime I post anything on craigslist I get so many scam offers with those cashier checks and shipping bs. I wish all the bastards would get cought, I wish I knew where to report them all.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the organization people are referring to is called ICCC or IC3 for short, I think it stands for "Internet Crime Complaint Commision" or something to that effect.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

ha, that sounds so familiar. I was looking for a car for my girlfriend and came across a nice 2005 GTO for 9,000 with 30k miles. Was like hot damn girlfriend is getting a gto then i got the reply just like you posted except the guy was "Out of the country for his job" and that he left the car with a certain company and would release the car to me once money was sent via worldpay/western union or some other company like that. The car was in nj, well thats what it said, and i asked to see it first before i pay. Needless to say i got some hate mail saying hes not there to let me see it, if i really wanted the car i would just pay it bla bla bla . Whar a friggin joke
Old 02-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Teching In

I got a few of those scams via e-mail and phone when I was trying to sell my firebird. They wanted to send me a check double the amount I was asking for the car and then wanted me to cash it and send them the difference. I wonder how many people actually fall for some of this stuff? Sad to say it but I am sure a lot do.