Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Maybe the Craziest T56 Application Yet

Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe the Craziest T56 Application Yet

Greetings, all; hoping you can help with some INTEL for a 6-speed swap I'm considering.

I have a 1992 Astro van with a L98 Tune Port 350. The engine swap was done several years ago and has worked out great, and now an LT1 is now in the works. At that same time, I'd also like to put a T56 in the van.

In the Astro, the engine/transmission is offset far toward the passenger side to give foot room for the driver. As a result, for the rare factory 5-speed manual transmission setup, the shifter has some banjo work allowing the shifter to rise through the van floor 8 INCHES left of the tranmission.

I attach a picture showing the shifter offset hardware. Does anybody have "hands-on" experience with this type of linkage? Any ideas whether there would be a way to [optimistically] bolt it directly to the T56?

BTW.......it probably will be necessary to move the shifter farther forward on the T56 to one of the optional locations. I think the F-body shift location will be too rearward. What is the best way to do that? Which vendor?

Thanks in advance............Jim
Attached Thumbnails Maybe the Craziest T56 Application Yet-astrotrans1.jpg  
Old 02-15-2008, 05:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be the craziest to date. I will have to think about this one as to how to help you.

Amber
Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

LMAO-Awesome project! I would totally drive an astro van with a swapped motor with a 6 speed.. put a cam in it. I'll buy it from you no joke!
Old 02-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Banned

Thats a GM small van only T5 . Its basically an S10 T5 with a modified shifter setup on it . In my humble opinion , you'd be better off installing an after market gear set in that box instead of trying to make a T56 work . That unit has the shifter in the middle part of the trans where a T56 has it at the rear of the unit . It could be done with enough engineering but I cannot see why one would go to such a pain to do so .
Old 02-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Default Maybe the Craziest T56 Application Yet

TheSource, I thought changing the T56 shifter location was easily done. I've found a couple of different sources for shifter modifications; here's one:

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/articl...Per_040528.pdf

It shows the stock locations and two others farther forward. I think one adapts directly through an inspection plate at the top of the transmission.

My Astro is an adaptation of what the factory would have been likely to build, had they been inclined to put the V8 in the van in the first place. The L98 was still in the F-body that year. The Impala SS wheels...I stretched that one, since they came out in 1994...but the last year of the old-style Astro was 1994, too.

The T56 is only the start of the fun. There's the planned LT1 396, and a 9-inch Ford disc brake rear end, and 2 inches' additional lowering.

This isn't my first off-the-wall project. My 280SL 6.3 is about to go on the road. Progress photos attached.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Maybe the Craziest T56 Application Yet-dcp_04061.jpg   Maybe the Craziest T56 Application Yet-p1010068a.jpg   Maybe the Craziest T56 Application Yet-p1010151.jpg  
Old 02-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Banned

You can make the T56 a midshift by changing the shift selector under the 4 bolt plate like they show in the pics but if I remember right , they do not offer the parts seperately . You would have to buy their complete unit or atleast thats the way they did it on a T5 conversion we were trying to do on a Sunbeam Tiger for a customer . Another company that did midshifts was Dark Horse Performance but I think they only offered it in the Tremecs .

As said above , it can be done with enough engineering and money . Good luck on the swap , it should get interesting .
Old 02-16-2008, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesource
Thats a GM small van only T5 . Its basically an S10 T5 with a modified shifter setup on it . In my humble opinion , you'd be better off installing an after market gear set in that box instead of trying to make a T56 work . That unit has the shifter in the middle part of the trans where a T56 has it at the rear of the unit . It could be done with enough engineering but I cannot see why one would go to such a pain to do so .
I dissagree with you. The T5 is not going to hold up (depending on HP/TQ goals). 3rd gear is a common fail point on them. I had an aftermarket (G-force) gear set that Six Speed inc installed in my T5 and after a few 100 miles it waas obvious it was not going to hold the power. The syncro teeth on 3rd and 5th were already showing signs of going. I fainally had Six Speed put a T56 in camaro (I just got it back yesterday).
Old 02-16-2008, 08:20 AM
Banned

What does wear on the syncro teeth have to do with gear failure ? They are going to show some wear on them . Anytime you have metal to metal rubbing and meshing with each other , wear or signs of it are going to happen . As for the G force kit , I personally do not like their kit and prefer the Astro Performance A5 kit . I have customer running low 10's with A5 geared T5's in Mustangs weighing right at 3000 lbs and giving them hell .

This car has an A5 T5 in it and had well over 50 passes on it before going to a different setup :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ccEQnxGoE

On a side note , what fluid were you running in the T5 with the G Force gears ? Was it the WC 3rd GEN V8 gear set ?

Last edited by thesource; 02-16-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This wasn't normal wear. His trans had about 300 miles on it when we pulled and it looked like a 100K miles used gear. His clutch worked just fine and so did the hydraulics. We sent the stuff to G-Force and they didn't understand why it looked so bad after 300 miles.

Amber
Old 02-16-2008, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesource
What does wear on the syncro teeth have to do with gear failure ? They are going to show some wear on them . Anytime you have metal to metal rubbing and meshing with each other , wear or signs of it are going to happen . As for the G force kit , I personally do not like their kit and prefer the Astro Performance A5 kit . I have customer running low 10's with A5 geared T5's in Mustangs weighing right at 3000 lbs and giving them hell .

This car has an A5 T5 in it and had well over 50 passes on it before going to a different setup :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ccEQnxGoE

On a side note , what fluid were you running in the T5 with the G Force gears ? Was it the WC 3rd GEN V8 gear set ?
Amber answered your first question. I ran the G-force recomended blend. I'm not positive on the specific gear set but it had a 2.94 first gear. My Camaro is not a track only car so I opted not to do the dog ring set.

That's was a great pass!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
This wasn't normal wear. His trans had about 300 miles on it when we pulled and it looked like a 100K miles used gear. His clutch worked just fine and so did the hydraulics. We sent the stuff to G-Force and they didn't understand why it looked so bad after 300 miles.

Amber
Do you happen to have pictures of the gears ? I would like to see them if so .
Old 02-16-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have no input on your problem, but your 2 projects are bad ***... love it.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I have no input on your problem, but your 2 projects are bad ***... love it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maybe the Craziest T56 Application Yet