Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OPINIONS WANTED - might need a shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy OPINIONS WANTED - might need a shortblock

went for a 'brisk' drive tonight with a buddy....long story short, something very small and insignificant happened, or something very bad and very expensive happened The car doesn't start, or even turn over. I think the motor is locked up.

IF that is the case, i was wondering who all had experience with our sponsors (or anyone else) in regards to buying pre-assembled/custom-assembled short blocks. i know pretty much all the bigger shops like TSP, SDPC, etc. all sell short blocks/long blocks that consist of pretty high quality parts, but i wanted to know what everyone was running and how satisfied you were. How many miles are on your motors? What kinda combos/ET's are you running? fuel economy? nitrous/boost applied? daily driven?.....you get the idea. i may not need a new motor, but in the event that i do, i'd like to buy one from a sponsor on here as there are no reputable LSx shops in my immediate area. i'm sure i won't keep it stock cubes, i've always wanted a 427, but that may be a little extreme. A nice 383 might be possible, even a 408.

ANYWAY, thanks in advance. I would GREATLY appreciate any input from you guys. i can read the sponsors' own product reviews all day and get excited, but i wanna see what the customers think.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like electrical or something other then the motor. Did it makeany funny sounds when you were driving it?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stevied916
sounds like electrical or something other then the motor. Did it makeany funny sounds when you were driving it?
it just shut down...i took it out of gear, close to the top of 4th and it just died. when i tried to start it back up, it made a single mechanical-sounding *clunk*...and nothing else happens. i can move the shifter around and it doesn't feel like it's stuck in gear. i let the car roll (like 1-2mph) and tried to dump the clutch to see if the motor would turn or unlock or something and nothing happened. not too sure what the deal is...it is definately not electrical though (i hope i'm wrong). i think the motor or tranny is screwed, but i'm banking on the motor. the tranny just came back from Tick Performance and it feels awsome, i think it's the motor....
Old 02-15-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear than man.
What did the car do when you let it roll and dumped the clutch? Did it come to a screaching halt with no engine movement?
Have you tried turning it over with a bar on the crank?
Anything suspecious looking in the oil?
Old 02-15-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, it pretty much came to a screaching halt. i just got back home and took a shower, the car is still in the street. my f*cking driveway is so stupid-steep we can't push it up and into the garage so i haven't tried anything else yet. i'm gonna get a 'crew' over here tomorrow and **** is goin' down.

oil was a little low, not bad though at all. nothing seemed to be on the dipstick, nothing under the filler cap. coolant looked good and full. no dents in the oil pan, no fluids leaking.....i'm not sure what to think right now, it all happened kinda fast.

in my defense, i wasn't doing anything stupid when it happened, or at least nothing that components couldn't handle (obviously not though ). i was taking a friend for a ride...shifted around 6500, let out around 6000 in 4th, went to go into 5th and coast to a stop down the road, but the car died about the time i was going into 5th.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you replace the oil pump when you did heads/cam?
Old 02-15-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

cam was in the car when i bought it....pretty it hasn't been replaced because i didn't put it in there. i don't remember the previous owner saying it had been done. i do have all the receipts from Speed Inc. where the work was done...i'll go check real quick and see, but i'm pretty sure it's stock.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your story sounds VERY similar to when my oil pump went out on my truck at 90mph. It starved itself of oil before I could shut it down. Seized up like a ****.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

well i just sorted through all the receipts....no oil pump, as i suspected. so am i boned? or can i put a new oil pump in and go? this sort of thing hasn't happened to me before...
Old 02-15-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the oil pump went out at 6000+ RPM's, all your bearings will be toasted. that why the starter can't turn the motor over.
I would put it in netrual and try turning it over by hand with a break over bar on the harmonic balancer bolt. Take off the belts before you try turning it over.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

so what am i looking for? complete seizure of the motor? or difficulty trying to turn it? what you're saying is i pretty much need to drop the motor and put bearings in it...
Old 02-16-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
so what am i looking for? complete seizure of the motor? or difficulty trying to turn it? what you're saying is i pretty much need to drop the motor and put bearings in it...

Lots of other possible damage. Crank could be scored, cam could be toast, valvetrain will need closely checked. This is only if the oil pump failed.

When mine seized, we could turn it about 1/4 turn was all. My entire shortblock was junk.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

right...so...."boned" pretty much sums up my status if that's the case...hence the question in the OP about shortblocks (i'm a 'build it bigger the 2nd time' guy)....

....other possible scenarios? i know it's hard to say without seeing/hearing it...there's nothing to hear though ...and nothing to see either really. the way i see it, tranny still feels good and the motor doesn't turn over = time for new bottom end
Old 02-16-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Take the belts off , set e brake , put car in nuetral and see if you can turn it over by hand with a break over bar or something simialr first. If a 2-3ft bar can't turn it over, you know something serious has went bad in the lower end.

I totally agree in building it bigger and better once the original is done. That is how I do it as well.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

well hell...i guess we'll see what tomorrow brings. thanks man, i appreciate the help. so much for the shootout on the 15th i'll be sure to post any progress/regression. i was hoping the problem was something like either a loose ground cable, or catasrophic destruction i.e.: easy, free fix or new billy-badass motor...

anywho...i'd still like to hear from anyone with aftermarket shortblocks built buy our sponsors
Old 02-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Teching In

You can get a forged short block from Texas Speed for $2900...

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/cate...MID=1&catid=27
Old 02-16-2008, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

If you're going to go bigger on your build, definitly look at the price of supporting mods and what you're going to need at a minimum. Obviously it's never done and you're going to keep going, but remember that it's going to keep adding up quicker once you go bigger. Almost any of the sponsors to the right that you've heard a lot of people talk about their engines is going to be good. Weber, TSP, SDPC, etc.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going to buy a short-block do yourself a favor and talk to Erik at HK. Just trust me on this.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedTtop6spd
If you're going to go bigger on your build, definitly look at the price of supporting mods and what you're going to need at a minimum. Obviously it's never done and you're going to keep going, but remember that it's going to keep adding up quicker once you go bigger. Almost any of the sponsors to the right that you've heard a lot of people talk about their engines is going to be good. Weber, TSP, SDPC, etc.
yeah i didn't specify what all i've got, so here it is: '01 SS 30K miles. Textralia OZ700 "Z"-grip clutch, Level 3 Extreme Viper T56 from Tick Performance. Moser 9" w/35 splines & a locker. STOCK driveshaft <--weakest link

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
If your going to buy a short-block do yourself a favor and talk to Erik at HK. Just trust me on this.

who is HK? where are they at? website? are they a sponsor? never heard of them.

thanks guys, keep 'em coming.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
yeah i didn't specify what all i've got, so here it is: '01 SS 30K miles. Textralia OZ700 "Z"-grip clutch, Level 3 Extreme Viper T56 from Tick Performance. Moser 9" w/35 splines & a locker. STOCK driveshaft <--weakest link

who is HK? where are they at? website? are they a sponsor? never heard of them.

thanks guys, keep 'em coming.
Sounds like you've got a good base to go bigger. I'm currently getting my list together for my 408 upgrade and will be starting to send my orders out late next week.

Able to get a breaking bar on it yet and see if it's completely locked up? If it is... happy modding.