LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Ignition Idea???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 Ignition Idea???

I am researching a solution for my optispark. B4 anyone tells me to do a search, I have. I have read more about the opti in the past month then anybody. Let me start by giving this helpful link
http://projectlt10.com/edis.php
This guy has gotten rid of his opti spark in favor of a Ford () system. It uses a 36-1 tooth sprocket to tell the coils when to send spark (instead of the 360-1 tooth the opti uses). He uses 4- two tower coils to send spark to the plugs, really pretty neat. My question is, does anyone know if I would be able to use the MSD flying magnet crank trigger(http://www.msdignition.com/mag_1.htm) to send signals to the coil packs?

Also, does the opti control anything else besides the spark (amount of fuel to inject, or anything else)

I was considering the Delteq, and alot of people have condemed me for even metioning the thought, but the issues that people have with the Delteq system tend to stem from the opti. From what I have heard, some try to solve their woes with the opti by buying the Delteq, but since the Delteq still uses the optical sensor for timing, a malfunctioning opti would not allow the Delteq system to work properly.

so if anyone can help me out with trying to use the MSD flying magnet crank sensor, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by wrecked vette
Also, does the opti control anything else besides the spark (amount of fuel to inject, or anything else)
Yes it provides a low res (cam position) pulse to the computer which tells it when to fire the injectors. This means that if you get rid of the opti you also need an aftermarket engine management system to control fueling.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

there is a member onhere that is running it... i have been looking to find it but i cant seem to locate it. i believe it's a ta and is taking it to the shoot out
Old 02-15-2008, 11:00 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Wrecked_vett

Did you read all that? I won’t, it’s a lot of tech stuff.....

It looks like he’s using the Ford system simply to control the ignition. The Optispark distributor still needs to be used to tell the PCM what’s going on. He’s got two ignition control systems installed on one engine. Like infinitebird said, you’d need an aftermarket system to totally remove the Optispark.

The Optispark system is very good at controlling everything. It’s when it’s not in good condition that causes all the problems as well as it’s difficulties to get to to service it.

I got the MSD Optispark distributer, the Deltec cap and the LTCC system. No problems here.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Wrecked_vett

It looks like he’s using the Ford system simply to control the ignition. The Optispark distributor still needs to be used to tell the PCM what’s going on. He’s got two ignition control systems installed on one engine. Like infinitebird said, you’d need an aftermarket system to totally remove the Optispark.

The Optispark system is very good at controlling everything. It’s when it’s not in good condition that causes all the problems as well as it’s difficulties to get to to service it.

I got the MSD Optispark distributer, the Deltec cap and the LTCC system. No problems here.
im going LTCC when i get the $350 for the brain and harnesses. i can just buy the coils and wires for $200. the only thing i dont like is 8 of the harnesses looking like a black squid in the engine bay haha. how does your engine handle higher rpm with it?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:24 AM
On The Tree

I havent looked into the separate engine management, any suggestions or proven companies?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Wrecked_vett

Yes I read all that, my brain hurt after and I was a little confused, but I am determined
Old 02-16-2008, 04:27 AM
On The Tree

So I could use the MSD flying magnet with an engine management system? I like the design of the MSD crank trigger.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You could use any aftermarket ignition system so long as you retain the Optispark distributor to run the stock PCM. OR you can buy a new management system such as a F.A.S.T. controller. The question is WHY? The stock PCM/Optispark system does a pretty good job and provides proper timing advance based on all the engine’s running parameters. If you wanna get away from the stock coil and high voltage distributor under the water pump, go with the Deltec or LTCC setup.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think your problem is you are reading places like here for your info.
You will find MORE bad info posted by ignorant little kids than you will good useful info. But it sounds as if that is exactly what you want, to be told a perfectly good piece is junk and you "need" to replace it.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
You will find MORE bad info posted by ignorant little kids than you will good useful info. But it sounds as if that is exactly what you want, to be told a perfectly good piece is junk and you "need" to replace it.
Thats not a fair statement. I understand thoroughly what you are implying, but good information can also be had.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guy who's site that is, posts on here, not just a guy running it
Old 02-16-2008, 04:43 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I've heard of plently of LS1 people switching over to an EDIS style ignition system. I know Tony Shephard runs a crank trigger with an aftermarket EFI system. The first major / expensive thing I'll be buying for my 93 is either going to be BS3 or a FAST XFI system.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

My problem is none of the sort, I have enough common sense to know when someone is full of ****. DO NOT DISCOUNT MY ABILITY TO SMELL A BULLSHITER.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wrecked vette
My problem is none of the sort, I have enough common sense to know when someone is full of ****. DO NOT DISCOUNT MY ABILITY TO SMELL A BULLSHITER.
Because you bought a Vette instead of an F-Body which perform damn near the same?

I'm only joking about you being a fool though Caprice just hates everyone and thinks we're all ignorant kids, which in and of itself is ignorant! Ironic huh?
Old 02-17-2008, 05:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Formula350
Because you bought a Vette instead of an F-Body which perform damn near the same?

I'm only joking about you being a fool though Caprice just hates everyone and thinks we're all ignorant kids, which in and of itself is ignorant! Ironic huh?
I did buy a Corvette. I thought it would be a good reward for serving 15 months in Iraq, then the rear tire blew and caused me to loose control. When the insurance paid out I bought an F body, best thing I have ever done. Just wish it wouldn't have came with the opti
Old 02-17-2008, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The opti works wonderfully in competent hands. It is a joke when there are 9 second cars running the opti and every kid with a 12 second car thinks his application has outgrown it.

I have put 185K miles on my opti equipped cars, in that time I have bought one complete opti which turned out NOT to be the problem and one cap and rotor kit. Probably add up the number of miles most of the other posters in this thread have personally put on their LT1s and not touch what I have. I am sure you are right though and I am full of ****, my reliable daily driver is a 224K mile LT1, yet guys with half those miles have trouble, maybe you should consider it is the wrench not the parts that makes these cars "unreliable".

I don't hate everyone, just the bad information that spreads here like a disease.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you stray from the opti just be careful...While you see many folks touting the benefits of switching to the LTCC, Delteq, etc, if you look into it further you can find many others experiencing more problems with them...Like Caprice said, the opti is a good ignition when installed/used correctly...I replaced my factory GM opti with another GM replacement in 2005 just as PM...Like every ignition system you should replace the cap/rotor on a regular basis (even though I haven't)...Most don't keep up on the PM because it is a pain to get to, but would you run a cap and rotor on a conventional distributor for over 10 years like what most do on here (including myself)? Nope...I may try the MSD cap/rotor with my stock opti this year as PM, but I run the opti and have flawlessly since 1995...Just my .02...

--Alan
Old 02-17-2008, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

i have had no problems with my opti it is a good piece as long as you maintain it and keep water off it as aba and caprice said...although i dont agree all the time with the way caprice words things and makes people feel like asses when their mostly looking for help he is righ alot of times
Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with him this time as well......I had 188k on my factory unit, but now that I am rebuilding I am going to replace it with a new factory unit.
All I was saying is that you can find good info on these boards. He is right though you do get alot of questionable comments, but they are what they are. These boards are should be used as reference and you should always do your own homework.
Caprice (wish I knew his real name) isn't a bad guy he has been on the boards for a long time and when you see things over and over and the same ignorance over and over you sometimes can't help but to respond cut and dry. He has answered questions for me and was straight, truthful and to the point, what more can you ask for?
To the OP I am sending you a PM!

Quick Reply: LT1 Ignition Idea???