Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help! My Hurst Billet is noisy as hell

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! My Hurst Billet is noisy as hell

Alright.... my car HAD the stock Hurst on it, and I took it out today to install the Hurst Billet Plus. Inside the box it said that I must use the boot supplied with the shifter to prevent premature failure from dust getting inside the shifter, fair enough.... I did so and now it sounds like I have an exhaust leak right next to the shifter.

The boot that came on the stock shifter (the big boot with 7 screws) and attaches to the body of the car didn't fit on top of the Hurst Billet boot, so I just left it off. Should I take off the Hurst boot and install the old one (will it even fit) or try something else? I don't wanna jack up this $180 shifter, let me know!

I installed this:

Then just put the console back together....
Old 02-15-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

They are way louder than stock shifters because there's no rubber bushings in them to deaden the noise. Mines like that. Here's a picture of what you may be able to do to help cut down a little of the noise. Hopefully it makes sense to you.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Launching!

You know what thats a great idea! Makes sense to me even if the stock boot isn't red... heh. Thanks a lot Benner

Nice drawing btw
Old 02-16-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the boot that bolts to the body not one that is where your getting most of your noise.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:22 AM
9 Second Club

The factory boot will go on with the boot that comes with the hurst billet I have both on my car the boot on the shifter is to keep dirt out of the shifter, the boot on the car is to keep dirt out of the car and water.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N2O-ARMD
The factory boot will go on with the boot that comes with the hurst billet I have both on my car the boot on the shifter is to keep dirt out of the shifter, the boot on the car is to keep dirt out of the car and water.
Exactly what he said I have both boots on mine also.
The body weather boot needs to be cut out slightly, only the part or the shifter with the two bolt holes needs to get thru the boots.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is this normal to install aftermarket shifters to cut the boot?
I was thinking to buy a Hurst Billet Plus. Is it different than the picture in the 1st post?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need the main boot to cut down the noise, the smaller boot will keep the dirt out. Recommend cutting it like above.

this is why I love my hurst comp plus... fits right in with no modification of the boot...
Old 02-28-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's a guy that makes nice little rubber gaskets that sit between the shifter and tranny and help minimize that noise also. I've used them before and been pretty happy with the difference they made. Might also be worth a shot. His name is "Cobra Bob" or some such, you can find him on google.com.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With mine I did as the instructions say and put both boots on, it was way too tight.
Ended up cutting a hole in the stock boot to let the Hurst boot come through, it was a tight fit on the cut.
My shifter is dead quiet, stock plastic cup and silicone so theres no special parts.
One thing I did notice is the top of the shifter base almost hits the console, if it did it would transfer a lot of noise.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by tici
Is this normal to install aftermarket shifters to cut the boot?
I was thinking to buy a Hurst Billet Plus. Is it different than the picture in the 1st post?
..HEY..tici----It has a CHROME HURST STICK..With Hurst engraved on the flat part of stick...I have one...I love it..I don't find it noisy....now my exhaust...that's noisy. [and..NO--it is not usual to cut anything.]
Old 02-29-2008, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
..HEY..tici----It has a CHROME HURST STICK..With Hurst engraved on the flat part of stick...I have one...I love it..I don't find it noisy....now my exhaust...that's noisy. [and..NO--it is not usual to cut anything.]
How do you like the **** that comes with the chrome shifter? Looking at the pictures it does look different than those sold saparately.

Quick Reply: Help! My Hurst Billet is noisy as hell