Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 powered 67 GTO

Old 02-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LS1 powered 67 GTO

Hello everyone, Im new to the LS1 scene (previously and still a Turbo Buick guy) I decided to sell off all the non numbers matching Pontiac stuff I had for the car and bought a low mile LS1 complete drivetrain. The information I needed to get started initially came together pretty well from this site to this point. Im waiting on the mounting kit and oil pan from BRP hotrods. I did not want to fight with mounting this drivetrain and there was no way I was going to hack the frame on this car. If all goes well this car will be out buy early May. Just wanted to say thanx so far for the help. If anyone has done this with a 67 GTO please PM me as I would love to pick ur brain on a few things.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

That's fantastic man. Can't wait to hear and see more of this car. Have a friend with a 67 GTO with a 455 in it, those things are beautiful cars, and with enough power, can really run the number. Doing a 408 stroker, turbocharged for my 67 bird. Trying to get my hands on a 4l80e, would love to have a "reliable" daily driver style car, that gets 20+ mpg, and makes some serious power. What type of transmission are you putting in the GTO?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome and good luck with your project.. How about some pictures.. and what your plans are for the LSx engine/trans ?

Us A-body guys are around if you got questions.. you can see my project in the link in my Sig..

Have Fun !
Old 03-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

Default Gettin my @ss kicked

Got all my parts in from BRP. So I went out and started the conversion. I grinded down the gear box as shown on the site, but it looks like I may need to notch out the frame mounts so they sit flat on the frame (I tried calling BRP but it was too late in the day to confirm the notching question) . Also I noticed that I can't get the motor with the trans back far enough because its hitting the tunnel. So I pulled the motor back out and did a lil grinding on the trans where it hits (not enough to do structural damage) and I did a lil more grinding on the gear box and even the housing of the alternator. Even with that I'm thinking I will need to massage the tunnel a lil bit. I read that no altering of the tunnel or frame would be necessary but at this point the the tunnel will see the hammer in the morning. My buddy is doing a 67 Chevelle and is waiting for me to hash out all the issues, but he won't have this problem because he is using a rack & pinion setup. I need batteries for my digital or I would have some pictures of what I'm writing about. Should have some by the end of the day tomorrow.

Last edited by Brer Rabbit; 03-19-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well.. as soon as you get the batteries.. post some picture of your swap.. With every Conversion there is always something different or doesn't go as planned.. hopefully they will be nothing major for you and just some minor hammering is all that is needed.

As far as your friend with the 67 Chevelle.. I would check to make sure that the rack doesn't sit to high.. as I may come into contact with the engine/oil Pan.. many have had problem with just the center link and tie rod ends hitting the pan. For some reason I recall that someone did a conversion with a R&P and that the rack did come into contact and had to rasise the engine up a bit more.

Good luck.. and keep us posted..
Old 03-19-2008, 06:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the club , you may want to look at some of my pics and problems , i havent had to mess with the tunnel yet with a 4l80e its tight but it fits, get some pics . JOHN
Old 03-19-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please post pics!

my dad has a 1967 GTO with a 400/4bbl/th400 combo. Its a fun car to drive but the gas mileage is awful so he doesn't drive it as much as he would like. I am trying to convince him to swap an LS1 in there. maybe with some support he'll do it instead of "consider" as he says lol.

what trans are you using too?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Zigrold ...Well... if your dad is trying to keep it a Classic (cause it is considered one in my opinon), matching parts and in good condition.... I stand behind him on leaving it as it..
If on the other hand.. It has already been hacked up and hod rodded.. then have him go for a swap.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with bczee. If i had an original unmolested muscle car. Gto, SS,442,etc.... no way would I consider doing anything but keeping it original. I had and have no issues hacking up my 1965 f-85 cutlass and installing the ls1.
My trans tunnel had to be heavily molested to clear the 4l60e trans, And my engine is pushed foward of were the engine mount kits put them. The cooling lines were the main problem in my case. Also my engine is mounted fairly high and the cross link still barely nicks the pan at full lock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 powered 67 GTO