Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Question about 5-6 grinding

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about 5-6 grinding

Ok so my buddy just got a 98 Z28 M6 and the previous owner recently had a spec stage 1 clutch put in about 50 miles ago or so with an OEM flywheel. After driving his car, it feels just completely different than mine. Clutch feels spongy, theres alot of chatter in the clutch and for some reason, no matter what i do, it always grinds from 5-6. There also seems to be a strange noise comin from under the shifter boot. Im thinkin the clutch needs to be bled and maybe the shifter was installed improperly, but im not really sure. Can i get some input on this? Thanks alot.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had the same setup installed in my car around 6 weeks ago (spec stage 1, OEM flywheel). The first 100 miles defintly felt spongy, but it lets up pretty quick. At around 300 miles, thats when i felt the clutch had settled in. At 800 miles, I still get some chatter moving from a standstill; its just a matter of pinpointing that sweetspot where the chatter doesnt exist.

I hope my advice helps. For the first 300 miles I did nothing but baby the clutch. Most of the miles I put on my car were driving around town.