Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM sleeves for small blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM sleeves for small blocks?

Looking through the GM performance parts catalog, I came across two part numbers:

12480004 - cylinder sleeve (standard)

"These sleeves are for new design aluminum V8 and V6 90 blocks P/N 10134400, 10134351, 10134371."

Technical Note: "This sleeve has a 3.980" I.D. and can be bored to 4.125."

(this fits 9.025" Deck Height blocks)

and....

12480032 - Cylinder Sleeve (Standard Tall Deck)

"This sleeve is the replacement for aluminum "tall deck" block P/N 24502495 only. This iron sleeve I.D. bore is 4.120" and finish bores to 4.125"."

(this fits a 9.525" Deck Height block)

Now...looking at those two sleeves and the blocks they fit, they are both iron sleeves for aluminum small blocks, just one is a short deck and the other is a tall deck.

It seems to me that the tall deck sleeve (9.525" deck height vs. LS1's 9.240") could be usable in our engines (LS1/LS6). The sleeves would need some length cut off the bottom to shorten it up, but that shouldn't be a problem.

They cost about $50 each from GM Parts direct so they "might" be a cost effective alternative to the Darton sleeves. A person could get those and have the machine shop could chop the required amount off. Then just press them in place of the factory sleeves.

Has anyone else looking into this or can you think of any reason why this wouldn't work (an aluminum block is an aluminum block right....the liners do not care).

I know people are using dry liners with success but nobody seems willing to tell where they get them (it’s a secret.... ).
Old 07-16-2003, 01:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: GM sleeves for small blocks?

Dry liners for the LS1 - LS6 are available from Darton and LA Sleeve. These "replacement" style sleeves typically have a wall thickness of .060" at 4.125" bore. The Darton wet sleeve has a wall thickness of .237" at 4.125" bore. The Darton wet sleeve system is designed for max. performance applications where anything less won't do.
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 07-16-2003, 06:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GM sleeves for small blocks?

Yep, The very newest Darton wet sleeves for LS1 are a better option as they provide added deck strength and a lock and 'crush' fit. They have been very hard to get a hold of 'til now .

I think too that these Darton sleeves can then be replaced if required....want to resleeve ?...just snag out the sleeves and replace 'em, no cutting . These wet sleeves also provide more even, stable temperatures across the bores.

A dry sleeve setup generally leaves the block as a throw-away item as they require being cut out and that may not be possible if a large bore was used.

Dry Sleeves are a bitch to fit (usually by a shrink fit process) and are far more prone to 'drop'. Agostino and MTI are the two premier 'dry sleeve' shops I keep hearing good reports of though.

Fitting of Darton modular wet sleeves by a good (and I mean a GOOD machine shop), will yield a strong and neat bore setup ready to fill with what every you like. Perfect for your 'Super Strokers'.

Warning though, they are quite expensive, so plan you project budget well.

Quick Reply: GM sleeves for small blocks?