Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" Gurus: Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9" Gurus: Need some help

A friend has a 9" from DLS in his 2002 Trans Am 6spd (he may chime in). Anyway, he asked me to look at it because it's making a noise. He said that it only happens in 6th at very low rpm's. We drove it around to test it and it seems to be more of a hesitation or buck than a constant noise. It's like you pulsed the brake for a split second. It's also very difficult to make it do it. To me, it felt like it was on the driver's side. What I'm thinking is that the differential is trying distribute torque to each of the wheels. With running 50mph in 6th gear at about 1100 rpms (for testing purposes), there is not enough input torque available to power through whatever within the limited slip diff is causing the problem. The driveline angle has been checked repeatedly and I couldn't find any sign of contact with the driveshaft. Could the diff have an issue? It seems like it could be a popping similar to when a 10 bolt Torsen is going out. If any of you 9" gurus have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2008, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

well.....I happen to have a moser housing with strange center with a locker. Its easy to make mine clunk. I have a huge cam so its easy to lugg the motor down its pretty common
Old 02-17-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What RPM in sixth are we talking, need to avoid going under 1700 in sixth in my opinion.

Sounds like all motor to me. The ring and pinion are a very simple machine and if it were flakey it would be obvious in all gears and at any RPM.

Start checking ignition, plug wires, fuel pressure and codes.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, the ring and pinion are very simple. However, the limited slip is not. It may be a quirk of the diff or something maybe amiss inside the rear end.

Also, we logged in HPTuners thinking it might be engine realted. But we couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. A set of ported stock heads were installed shortly before the problem surfaced, but there's nothing to tie the problem to the engine.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Any more thoughts?