LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ehh- crap messed up now I think I have to pull the engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ehh- crap messed up now I think I have to pull the engine

Wellll like my sig says I'm installing lt's etc.. anyway everything's been going good until today.. im so f'ing fed up with this car right now its not even funny. I was taking the stock manifold bolts out after pb blastering them for like 2 days and offff course the second to last bolt toward the back on the driver side you know- the one on the inside the last runner, after about 1 1/2 hours of fussing and messing with it the #$% stripped. i was in total disbelief i couldn't believe what i had just done after so long being so careful not to. so my question is now what do i do? drop the engine with k member? im at a loss here guys i appreciate some advice/ guides to get me back on track with my modding. thanks
Old 02-17-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just the bolt head stripped right? Go to Sears and get a set of their bolt out's > $20
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+Taps+%26+Dies
Old 02-17-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

ya but its in such a tight place its ridiculous, i was going to try these hope they work
Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

its easier to install the lts with it out anyway man....when i droped my lt1 in i put them on first
Old 02-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Launching!

yep no sense in fighting the install for 20hrs when it takes 2-3 hrs to pull the motor.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

actually guys i think im going to go get blasted drunk b/c just a little while ago i went and bought an irwin bolt remover set from autozone, and they worked perfectly that @$@ bolt came right out, and well i was at it i got the passenger side manifold off pretty easily also

damn what a relief i was so unbelieveably happy when i felt it coming out, what a catastrophe that could have been thanks for all the help guys !!!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

good deal
Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Launching!

LOL, I just put LT's on my WS6 this weekend, that bolt you are talking about is a little tricky to get to, but I didn't have a problem getting any of them out, some were a bitch to break loose tho. Each of the 3 nuts on each side connecting the y-pipe twisted the studs right off though. Sounds mo-betta w/ the LT's. +1

p
Old 02-17-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by O Holy P
LOL, I just put LT's on my WS6 this weekend, that bolt you are talking about is a little tricky to get to, but I didn't have a problem getting any of them out, some were a bitch to break loose tho. Each of the 3 nuts on each side connecting the y-pipe twisted the studs right off though. Sounds mo-betta w/ the LT's. +1

p

how long did it take you
Old 02-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Got everything done and out the door in about 8~9 hours. I did some other things too while I was working on it. Replaced the original plugs & wires, put the block off plate on the back of the intake where the exhaust tube hooked up, took the Borla cat-back off that came w/ the car off, and put the Hooker cat-back on, and also took the steel d/s out and put an aluminum one in.

P
Old 02-17-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

sounds good man i have a few questions though what did you guys do about the alternator bracket that attaches to the #1 header bolt (pass. side), like how are you supposed to use stage 8 bolts and that bracket? theres the same problem with the cruise control module (im assuming thats what it is) that sits over the driver valve cover- it mounts the same way to the header stud.. do i just not use the stage 8 bolts in those 2 places?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get rid of the alternator bracket attaching to one of the header bolts. I did that and it's still solid.

Not sure what you mean about the cruise control module. That is suppose to be in the frame below your ABS block. I think your talking about Traction Control Module if your car came with it.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Launching!

I chunked the bracket that goes from the alt. to the head, and chunked the one that went from the alt. to the intake, just 2 bolts on the accy. bracket holding mine on, same way on my Z and it's been that way for years. No issues.

P

Quick Reply: Ehh- crap messed up now I think I have to pull the engine