Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling the Trigger (DD Cam only) Decision.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulling the Trigger (DD Cam only) Decision.

Ok. Well I have all the main bolt on's besides the LS6 intake manifold.

I originally want to keep the internals stock, but I want a little more kick in the engine.

This is my daily driver. I just want to go cam only. I know once I install the cam and intake it will all be done. I'm taking my car to ellis to get some motor mounts installed etc so I'll just add the cam install to the task and do it all at once.

Car is a 1999 with Mods in sig.

Keep in mind I read the stickies and understand what a cam does (duh) and the parts of the cam etc, but this is my first time doing this so consider myself a n00b when it comes to the actual application.

My goals with the car:

-It is a daily driver.. so I'm not looking for the "biggest cam". Drivability is a concern, but I can handle a decent sized cam for sure. I don't get bothers by stuff like that too easily.
-I'm looking for good powerband in the midrange. I don't top out my engine a ton and I think power in the mid RMP's is more important.
-I do want a loppy idle, but not choppy as hell.

What do you guys suggest? I hate to say "built it for me" but I would have no idea where to start on adding what valve spring/rockers/pushrods etc.

MY BIGGEST CONCERN: Reliability.

This is my only car and I take care of her to the fullest, so I want to do this right. If it takes twice as long to save up for the parts because I might want some parts better performance/reliability so be it. I'm in college so I can be patient.

The car as 30k miles on it.

So the parts I need:
-Cam
-Pushrods
-Valve springs
-Rockers
-Oil pump

Any other parts I am missing that are highly recommended to replace?

This is my first cam thread, so sorry for the long thread but I am trying to give out all the info I can so I don't leave anything out. Anything else you guys need to know that I forgot?

Keep it mind I want to do it once and have it last as long as it would stock if taken care of so quality parts are good.

it might sound n00bish but if you could pretty much part out exactly what I need and what spec parts that would be nice.

Give me what you got. Thanks and let me know if I am not asking the right questions.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I would do a search for the reverse split cams. Predator Z has a long thread about them. If it's a DD car you aren't going to want to spin it to 6500+ to make power.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I would do a search for the reverse split cams. Predator Z has a long thread about them. If it's a DD car you aren't going to want to spin it to 6500+ to make power.

+1!!! i finally got MTI X1 going in this wednesday...
Old 02-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TR 230/224 111 from Thunder racing.

Thunder racing sells cam kits, you pick what cam!, then youll get pushrods, and Patriot gold springs which includes valve seals as well.

i just installed it on Thursday, wow man what a difference in power, torque and power is everywhere.
its so far its perfect for the street. (with a tune) and its choppy too. it has 5 degrees overlap so...
also its not too hard on valve train components, it only has a .576/.563 lift.
so far it does not make a lot of noise.(some folks on here talk about a sewing machine noise) well not here.

and i didnt see a LS2 timing chain, if your installing a oil pump youll need a new chain.
SPDC has a "GM" LS1 cam swap gaskets/seals kit already to go just pick the correct year and order.

pm me for any other questions you may have.

i need to get a video going soon.

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 02-17-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with these guys. If you want to stay cam only i would go tr230/224. Its a proven performer. You should also take a look at futural's cams as well as Tsp.

You need to add an ls2 timing chain, an oil pump o-ring, and the cam swap gasket kit. And just buy the valvespring kit and it will have everything you need.

I would also buy a 25% underdrive pulley since you have to take the stock one off anyway
Old 02-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Restricted User

don't forget a crank bolt
Old 02-17-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a bunch of really good cams out there that should fit your application well. When I was deciding what to do for my cam swap, I had the exact same criteria (reliability as a daily driver, plenty of low to mid range power and I wanted a bit of chop in my idle). The Trick Flow cam listed in my sig accomplished that and honestly exceeded my expectations....it's very reliable and still easy to drive in traffic, the ide has a nice chop and it pulls like a freight train after 3,000 rpm all the way up to 6,500 rpm.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

the cams everybody has mentioned so far are all good choices for what you want to accomplish. You dont need new rockers though...so save the $
Old 02-17-2008, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

You also didn't mention how much power you're looking for. How fast do you want to be? A medium sized cam is probably the way to go. My car is my DD, and so far I love my cam.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good point by SlayerMaro....power numbers are important. I put down 388 rwhp and 384 tq with the cam and mods in my signature. By no means are they "dyno queen" numbers, however it's pretty solid for a daily driver and it pulls very strong down low.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I'd like to gain a good but of power actually. That is the only reason I am doing this haha.

Thanks a TON for your information guys, it is extremely appreciated. High 300s would be nice.

I also do not plan on getting a UD pulley because I have a high current stereo and I need the alt to put out.

Also, I noticed TSP has this cam "package"

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=175&catid=49

1) If I were to select a LSA and Cam from these choosable options, which one(s) would best fit the application I(we) have leaned towards so far?

2)If I got the 700 dollar cam package, a new oil pump and timing chain, is there anything else I would need when it comes to actual parts?

3)For my application should I get the ported ls6 oil pump or just the normal ls6? Does it matter or is the ported one just a "better one to go with"? I'm assuming any non adj ls2 timing chain will work...

4) I do want a lopy idle. That is what intrigues me about a sound of a cammed LS1. Not hardcore, but definitely noticeable.

Thanks!!
Old 02-17-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am ordering a Head and Cam package from TSP as soon as my tax return comes in and am going with the 228R cam. Has a duration of 228/228 and .588/.588 lift. I basically want what you want, good drivability, reliability, awesome sound and the most power I can get while accomplishing all of these. IMO go with the 112 LSA which is what I am getting.

For extra parts as someone said before make sure you get a crank bolt...LS1 crank bolt is a one time only bolt. IMO get an underdrive pulley, March and ASP make UD pulleys available with an overdrive Alt pulley and thats what I am gtting since I too have a stereo w/ amps.

I would use a ported LS6 myself but someone else may disagree. An LS2 chain should be good...I dont really thing a DD would need adjustability.

Good luck!Hope it goes well for you!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
+1!!! i finally got MTI X1 going in this wednesday...
Let me know how it goes im very interrested in this cam for my car
Old 02-17-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the response.

So do I not need aftermarket rockers? Like 1.6s? I heard there are some reliability issues with the stockers sometimes.

And what makes drivability a concern with a cam? What makes it hard to daily drive? Basically I want a pretty decent sized cam that I can get the most power out of when dealing with a DD cam I guess. I'm thinking about a 112 LSA as well. I still have the questions from my post before this one too I am still wondering about. Thanks again everyone.

Cheers.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
Well, I'd like to gain a good but of power actually. That is the only reason I am doing this haha.

Thanks a TON for your information guys, it is extremely appreciated. High 300s would be nice.

I also do not plan on getting a UD pulley because I have a high current stereo and I need the alt to put out.

Also, I noticed TSP has this cam "package"

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=175&catid=49

1) If I were to select a LSA and Cam from these choosable options, which one(s) would best fit the application I(we) have leaned towards so far?

2)If I got the 700 dollar cam package, a new oil pump and timing chain, is there anything else I would need when it comes to actual parts?

3)For my application should I get the ported ls6 oil pump or just the normal ls6? Does it matter or is the ported one just a "better one to go with"? I'm assuming any non adj ls2 timing chain will work...

4) I do want a lopy idle. That is what intrigues me about a sound of a cammed LS1. Not hardcore, but definitely noticeable.

Thanks!!
I have a good size system too and i decided to go with a pulley. A tuner told me he would increase my idle rpm to compensate for the pulley.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok So here is the cart list I have so far... I am pretty sure I am going to go with the TR 230/224 111.

---"CAMPK-PG" - "Thunder Racing LS1 Cam Swap Package w/ Dual Valve Springs Includes: - Your Choice of Thunder Racing Camshaft
- Dual Patriot Gold Valvesprings and Ti Retainers
- Thunder Racing Pushrods (7.400)
- Valve Stem Seals
- Additional spring options available below

--- TIMING CHAIN (Still undecided, which will I need out of these? http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=222)

---GASKETS AND BOLTS: "111-10-LS" (part number) [LS1/LS2 Basic Camshaft Swap Gasket Package includes: GM Water Pump Gaskets, GM Timing Cover Gasket, GM Timing Cover Seal, GM Valve Cover Gaskets, GM Harmonic Balancer Bolt] http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=157

--- OIL PUMP: "99-LS1-OP" (part number) [Thunder Racing Modified LS6 Oil Pump].

I am assuming I will need all of the gaskets supplied below it for a full install?

Total comes to around $1400 dollars or so. Besides figuring out what timing chain out of those (or another than they don't sell?) would these be ALL THE PARTS needed to a out the door install?

Thanks! You guys have helped tremendously.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounded like my requirements only I needed to be smog legal too. TR224 is the DD cam for my purposes on a 114. A bit more lope and midrange on the 112 LSA though. Check sig for specs and I've got a dyno graph too if you want to see it.

Last edited by z28ss4me; 02-18-2008 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good man.

Just checking in to see if those links/pars I listed are all I need.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you will be happy with the TR230. For the timing chains, the LS2 chain will be less expensive and will work fine.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JScamaro
I think you will be happy with the TR230. For the timing chains, the LS2 chain will be less expensive and will work fine.
Got it. So if I go with the LS2 timing chain and the parts listed above, I'm all set?