Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Got an SBC 350 question for you all

Old 02-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got an SBC 350 question for you all

My dad has a mint '78 Chevy Cheyenne with the 350 and 4-speed manual. Has just over a 100,000 miles. Ran perfect before hand. It hasn't ran in a couple years because I haven't had time to mess with it. Problem is when it ran, it started hard. Took a bit of cranking over to do. When it fired you had to lay into the throttle to get it to warm up. Bad power on the low revs but no problems up top. Driving it does the same thing. Had a bunch of problems with the fuel pump. Replaced the fuel pump probably 4 or 5 times. I was talking with a mechanic around here that said those old chevy trucks are known for wearing down the lobes on the camshaft. This would explain the fuel pump problem and possibly no power from idle on up until you got the revs built up. Does this sound like a stereotypical problem? I mean it would be great to just pull the grill and radiator and get that front end off and throw a new cam in there to get this beast running good again. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:39 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Possilby the old *** lifters might not be pumping at low revs, it happens from time to time, but not often. It is just a possibility. Yank the fuel pump, block it off and put a electric on that thing and be done with it.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:59 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Possilby the old *** lifters might not be pumping at low revs, it happens from time to time, but not often. It is just a possibility. Yank the fuel pump, block it off and put a electric on that thing and be done with it.
Thats what I was thinking. lol Ossian, that's in our back yard. I may have an electric fuel pump in stock for you. Bob
Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Yeah I understand an electric pump is the way to go. I'm just confused on what to do here. and EPP yup Ossian isn't far from you guys. Further now that you are in CC lol.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

I would say check your fuel filter and your carb before you do anything drastic. If you get an itch, put the electric pump on there and throw a new cam/lifters/rockers in there to wake her up.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you start throwing new parts at it, give it a good tune up. Since it's been sitting for 2 years.....put a new fuel filter, fresh gas, cap, rotor, plugs & wires on. If it's the original qjet carb, it's likely in need of a rebuild....especially with the symptoms you describe. If you have any worn lobes on the cam, you'd have an audible ticking sound coming from the valvetrain.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

its a definite possibility that several of the cam lobes are warn down i cant tell you how many chevy 350's i have torn down from the late 70's where several of them were only enough to barely bump the valve off the seat

chevy had a big problem with the heat treatment of their cams back then
Old 02-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Trust me that truck has brand new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor was checked when the quadrajunk was rebuilt. Fuel filter is brand new and so is the gas tank on the truck for that matter. I threw a bunch of money back a couple years ago at this truck and I just couldn't get it goin. Of course I have grown since then and my knowledge has wised up some. I might pick up a set of lifters and valve cover gaskets and see if that does the trick, if not I'm out a set of gaskets, cause I would have needed the lifters anyways for a new cam install. I'm gonna pull her up to the main garage tomorrow where I got some heat and hopefully get her pulled apart and inspect some things. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Inspection of the old lifters will tell you if you've got a worn lobe. I really wouldn't go to the trouble of installing new lifters on an old cam. A new one is only 75 bucks.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Teching In

True. Well I ordered a cam kit from Northern auto. Cost me 72 bucks shipped. Comes with lifters and a timing chain. They got some good stuff over there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got an SBC 350 question for you all