Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Is my heater broken or do they all suck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my heater broken or do they all suck?

Ok,
I picked up a 100k v6 bird. I knew things would be broken here and there but I wondering if the heater is one of them?
My heater puts out enough heat to be comfie with a jacket on during a 2 degree day, but it never gets hot.
I checked coolent level, and swapped out the thermostat.
With the heater set to the highest temp and the heat cranked all the way up after a 1/2 hour drive (morning commute) you can put your hand up to the vent and only feel warm air. My subaru will burn your friggin hand if you do that.
I know its a diffrent ride and all but this sucks...

so I guess my question is, should I crack open the heater box and start poaking around or are all f-bodys like this?
or
Is this a common issue after a couple of miles and is there a semi easy fix?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:49 AM

You definitely have a problem, i just went through simillar issues; when i took out my old thermostat it was closed and i tested it and it opened at about the right temp so seemed to be Ok but there was definitely something wrong. After installing the new t.stat, i turned the heat on and ran the engine, as the engine got hot, i had super hot water going through the heater hoses and just lukewarm water in the rad (confirming nothing was getting by the t.stat), then as the stat opened at 195deg, it started flowing thro the rad, at this point i bled air from the tiny air vent on top of the stat housing.

Yesterday driving in to work with a negative 40 deg windchill, admittedly i have a 40 deg garage at home but within 5 mins i was in a T shirt it was so toasty and warm.

I'd check the operation of the thermostat first as above, if you have hot water going through the hoses to and from the coil then either the air side of the coil is obstructed or a damper has come apart.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:56 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with pete280. Start with the thermostat. I guess it could be the heater core, but I don't think I've read of anyone have issues with those yet, or at least not a widespread problem. A friend of mine was having issues with getting warm heat on his Blazer. He has a friend that runs a GM dealership service department, and his friend said that the Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada was known for getting air & mineral buildup in the system. He had to flush out his entire system by forcing water through it, and that worked for him.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I bought my car, it didn't blow warm at all. I took it to a radiator shop and had them use their machine to flush the whole cooling system, radiator, block, and heater core, put in a new stock thermostat and coolant... heat works good now. Now if it's 0degrees out it will take awhile to get warm inside...but 15-20+ and it's all good.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

I know mine doesnt get very hot... but my car turned out to have a 160deg stat.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

its the V-6. Thats your problem quick solution V-8 swap. haha just kidding

I agree about the thermo R&R and maybe do a quick prestone coolant flush, could work wonders
Old 02-24-2008, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Not to hijack the thread but my heater doesnt seem to get very warm either...I had my defrost on for about 30 min a few days ago to melt some ice off the windshield and the only part that was melted was a center piece right above where the defrost actually comes out...Granted there was quite a bit of ice but on other days I have been less than impressed with my defrost.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I usually get that central patch of heat from my defrosters also, its just because of the central duct
Old 03-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

i had the same problem with my z28 flush the system it now works great
Old 03-04-2008, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Yeps. Everyone should be right.. Thermo, flush and new coolant should burn you outta the seat

Quick Reply: Is my heater broken or do they all suck?