LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tick towards the bttom end

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tick towards the bttom end

I have a tick on the drivers side in the bottom end of the motor, and I am hoping it is only a pushrod. Last weekend I was doing some "spirited" driving and my hand slipped of the shifter and I banged it off the limiter. Well later in the day the car was running like total *** and sounded like it was trying to **** parts out the exhaust. Could this be worse than I think it is?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ticking is usually harmless. Maybe a lifter.
Knocking sounds would be bad.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tick on the drivers side in the bottom end of the motor, and I am hoping it is only a pushrod.
Pushrods are not in the bottom end of the motor. but it would be a good idea to check them. If the car is running that bad then something is hurt.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CRAZZ28
Pushrods are not in the bottom end of the motor. but it would be a good idea to check them. If the car is running that bad then something is hurt.
Shows how much I know. Took it to try and work on it and the place was closed. Best news is the car barely made it a half mile down the road and died. Got it started long enough to pull into a parking lot and let it sit. Guess a pushrod is the least of my worries now.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oooohh that might not be good. If you have tools at your house and can get the car back there. it shouldnt be too hard to diagnose the problem. no mechanic needed.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahhh there in lies the issue. Military bases aren't to keen on letting you work on your car on base. I was trying to get to the hobby shop, but it is closed today. Lucky me. What sucks is the shop is only like 2 miles from where I live in the barracks. Guess I will try to get it there tomorrow. May just push the half mile or so to get there. lol.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch that has to stuck. I have had exhaust valves collapse before on a zo6 and the car ran, but it had a loud knocking sound. It ran until the valve keepers fell out and the valve fell. The guy who drove it to me at the shop I work at said the same thing. He got first gear when he was going for third, and all of a sudden the car starting running like crap. Got it in the shop and pulled the valve covers because it was knocking and had a dead cylinder. Found the valve collapsed and the push rod bent. The car ran, just like crap and would bearly go anywhere. Also make sure it's not the catalytic converter ticking if you have one. If it gets clogged up it will choke a motor to death.

Quick Reply: Tick towards the bttom end