Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this possible with the engine still in the car???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this possible with the engine still in the car???

I am going to be doing H/C within the next 2 weeks. I was thinking since I am putting a new oil pump in, and dropping the oil pan as far as possible. Is it possible to install ARP rod bolts with the motor still in the car??? Since the heads will be off, I can raise the motor up quite a bit. But I dunno if it will be high enough to take the oil pan completely off or just far out of the way and have access to the rod bolts.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rare99Z
I am going to be doing H/C within the next 2 weeks. I was thinking since I am putting a new oil pump in, and dropping the oil pan as far as possible. Is it possible to install ARP rod bolts with the motor still in the car??? Since the heads will be off, I can raise the motor up quite a bit. But I dunno if it will be high enough to take the oil pan completely off or just far out of the way and have access to the rod bolts.
Yes.

Make sure:

1) Unbolt the bellhousing from the block and pull the tranny rearward until the input shaft has completely cleared the clutch.

2) Unbolt the headers.

3) Disconnect hoses from radiator.

4) Unbolt motor mounts.

While you're at it replace the rear main seal and clutch slave cylinder. And put a new gasket on the pan.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

here ya go
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/675343-rod-bolt-install-write-up.html
Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys, didn't really wanna remove the trans or the k-member tho. I can't just raise the motor with an engine hoist with the heads off to have enough clearance?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

plus I think you need Katech rod bolts, unless to want to resaize your rods...lots of guys have problems i.e. spun rod bearings