General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Another "Is this a good deal" Thread - 2000 Firebird Formula

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "Is this a good deal" Thread - 2000 Firebird Formula

I was looking at a 2002 Trans-Am WS6, however it has 126k on it, and im pretty nervous buying a car with that many miles on the original equipment, plus insurance is $1000 more a year compared to an 00 Formula. So I been looking around more and came across another F-Body. The car is a 2000 Firebird Formula. It has 101,000 on it, T-Tops, leather, M6. The car needs a new cat-back exhaust as the owner took off the stock since it was rotted out. He is asking $7500 for the car, as that is what he owes on it. I am wondering if you guys think this is a good buy, and what should I look for on the car and while test driving it? It is from a private seller. Thanks in advance, you guys really are alot of help, and I appreciate it!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

IMHO i would be looking only at the 01-02 fbodies because they have the ls6 intake stock and better clutch cylinders. The benefit the 98-00 have is a slightly bigger cam i believe, i dont think thats an unusual find, pretty common. i say wait for something better. The car in my sig i bought for 13.2 all i can say is be patient and if a manual isnt a must have, it was in my case, then you can get some really cheap auto's. When driving it run it through atleast 1st and 2nd pretty hard, make sure you shift to every gear and pay attention to how the shifts feel. Listen for rear end whine, ask about mods and wrecks, carfax, thats about it...
Old 02-18-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats a good price, its not really going to get much cheaper. As for when you are test driving there are a few things to look for. When you do a visual inspection of the car, open the doors, trunk and hood. Look to see if new quarters have been welded in due to a crash or any other body panels that have been replaced. Check the frame out for damage also. Then look under the hood for oil leaks, coolant ect. Check the tranny and the rear for leaks also. When you drive the car listen for unusual noises. If this if your first lsx, remember the valve train on these cars in louder than others factory and should sound like a sewing machine a bit. Nothing really loud though, you will know if it is a noise you should be concerned about. Check and see if the car smokes under throttle. Make sure there are no miss fires or stumbles through the rpm range. Just keep your wits about your self and check everything out. It is your money and the seller wants it. So he will tell you everything you want to here. Make sure it all adds up and everything is sound. If the car has been maintained and well cared for there should be no major problems and nothing to worry about. Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:37 PM

Thanks alot for the help guys, I really do appreciate it. For my case, manual is a must have, I know I can find alot of cheap autos, but as of now im strictly manual transmission. When I test drive the car, I really am going to run it HARD. If the seller doesn't want me to, tough, if im about to spent $7500 of my hard earned money, im not gonna let this guy tell me what I can and can't do in the last minutes with him as the owner, it shoulden't really even matter since if it checks out alright I will buy it.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldn't worry about the miles as long as it was taken care of. The formula sounds good. My 00 formula has 155,767 miles and runs like a champ. good luck
Old 02-19-2008, 02:31 AM
TECH Addict

I would offer him 7k for it. "I can give you 7k for it... i mean it has over a hundred thousand miles..." *look disappointed* start throwin #'s around. that's how i got a 15k car for 14,200.