Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA with stock '01 Z28 springs vs Strano springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni SA with stock '01 Z28 springs vs Strano springs

With the ability to vary the rebound on Koni SA's, wouldn't you be able to dial in the same handling characteristics on stock springs as you would if you used Strano springs?

When using adjustable SA's, does the lowering offered by the Strano springs make the most diffeence in handling compared to stock springs?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

No, the shocks cannot completely compensate for the increase in spring rate. The Stranos will compress less readily and rebound more forcefully because of their increased rate. That will continue to be the case compared to stock springs throughout the entire range of shock adjustability.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Springs and shocks have different functions. Beyond the generic idea that you can make both "stiffer" or "softer" the overlap ends. Basically stiffer shocks do not act like, or have the same effect as stiffer springs, and vice versa. The compliment each other, but both has their own job to do (as does every other part on the suspension).

Shocks damp movement, they do not limit it but control it's rate of movement. Springs do not control how fast something moves, really how much it moves.

So if the question is: Can I do Koni's on stock springs and get the exact same thing as Koni's and Strano springs, the answer is no. However you can do Koni's and stock springs and get some huge and impressive handling benefits. You do not need the springs, you may or may not want them, but I'd never consider them a necessity.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Thank you Mr. Strano, that is exactly the answer I was looking for. By the way, the write-up in GM High-Tech Performance magazine on your suspension setup was excellent.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html
Old 02-19-2008, 02:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thank you.. I'm glad I could help.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Having run both setups, I gotta say that there was a very big difference going from stock springs/Konis and Strano springs/Konis. However, I can't complain about the first setup. The stock springs with the Konis were the perfect DD setup IMO. The car felt like a well tuned german sedan rather than a boat. The Strano springs made the car feel like a sports car though... well woth the extra $$$.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The big question would be <drum roll please>.... Wasn't the Koni and stock spring setup a huge improvement vs. stock? I know the answer, I only ask because I'm pretty sure that would have been the next question.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only the best mod ive done...

As if I haven't been vocal enough about that
Old 02-19-2008, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I concur, I drove stock springs/konis around for 4 months waiting on Sam's springs and it's the perfect daily drive (lower spring perch). But when I added his springs it's a whole different level of performance.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I stuck with stock 130K mi springs when I went to Koni's about a year ago. I don't think the REALLY bad roads here in SoCal would be very friendly to my DD Z28 with stiffer springs (although I want them bad...).

With stock shock the car did not seem predictable or SAFE when taking quick curves, it felt like I had no idea if the car was even going to stay going where I pointed it.

With the Konis, the car feels about 3-4x as stable as it was before and feels very predictable and almost more importantly is the feeling of confidence the Koni's have given me over the stock shock (and rightfully so for how they perform)...
Old 02-19-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
I stuck with stock 130K mi springs when I went to Koni's about a year ago. I don't think the REALLY bad roads here in SoCal would be very friendly to my DD Z28 with stiffer springs (although I want them bad...).

With stock shock the car did not seem predictable or SAFE when taking quick curves, it felt like I had no idea if the car was even going to stay going where I pointed it.

With the Konis, the car feels about 3-4x as stable as it was before and feels very predictable and almost more importantly is the feeling of confidence the Koni's have given me over the stock shock (and rightfully so for how they perform)...

Give me a PM if you want to take a ride in my car, I have the GC coilover setup with 500# fronts and 150# rears, not exactly Strano springs but you will be able to feel the difference and response in an f-body with lower/stiffer springs and Koni's.

Granted, I think the rear Koni DA's that I have are blown, and still it handles quite well.

I live in Cypress.

in hindsight I would not have bought the GC coilover setup and gotten Sam's springs instead, but hey, I'm still rather pleased with the results.

Let me know if you want to check out my car.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Launching!

I had Sam's Revalve set up on my TA, I have since sold it and now I am buying a 2002 SS. you can bet I will be placing another order for Sam's suspension.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too, I have been comtemplating his springs too and run the koni's on the lower perch but after what I hear about the springs I think I'll get them too. It sounds and looks like the perfect drop for all conditions too. 1.2'' front and back, I will also most likely get his sway bar set too
Old 02-20-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

When I had Koni's on my stock springs, it was a noticeable improvement over the Bilstien HD's I had before. It was a very comfortable ride and definetely something you can DD. Like most of us, I wanted a bit more, so I went with the Strano Springs. It is a bit firmer ride than the stock springs, but better handling. Now, limiting factor is my tires. Damn the coefficient of friction of street tires.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krab
When I had Koni's on my stock springs, it was a noticeable improvement over the Bilstien HD's I had before. It was a very comfortable ride and definetely something you can DD. Like most of us, I wanted a bit more, so I went with the Strano Springs. It is a bit firmer ride than the stock springs, but better handling. Now, limiting factor is my tires. Damn the coefficient of friction of street tires.
how are you doing on the 1/4 track?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bad6as
This in my main concern as well but you can't have everything but it has been done that guys going from a drag setup like Q1a's to koni's and still making great passes at the track. I remember reading once that a guy actually did better wether that was true or not. Unless its a full blown drag car get the koni's and enjoy in all conditions IMO You would than most likely want ot opt to keep the stock springs but I think I will eb going with the strano's as well, I am sure they will perform well at the track too. Even though its primarily a street car, I have to take it to the 1/4 just to get kicked off, LOL
Old 02-20-2008, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

the guy who did better also has a 402 with a f1
Old 02-20-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bad6as
I actually haven't gone to the local drag strip since installing the Koni's, which was about a year or so ago.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did better with the Sam springs and Konis than I did with Eibach's and revalved Bilsteins.