Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car bending rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car bending rotors?

Ran my car off the road awhile back. Nothing too serious at first except I knocked the bead off the DS tire from slidding it broad-side into a ditch. After the accident I replaced the rotor, it was acting like it was bent, it was. It didnt take long for the new rotor to bend also. I limped it around for the last couple months but it drives me nuts. Well now Im in the middle of swapping my struts/shocks and springs. I wiggled the rotor with the wheel off to see if I had play in the tie-rod end or upper ball joint. There was a little play both ways, however the ball joint felt firm wiggling it by hand. My front sway bar was broken where it fastens as well. The insides of my front tires are also wearing uneven.

Can someone please help me firgure out what needs replaced while I already have everything apart? The bent rotors are a breaking nightmare since it only catches every so often. Not to mention the squeaking.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be a wheel hub. If its bad enough an alignment shop cant align it because it wont hold what setting they put it to. Also you may check your caliper for damage, and you should prolly get your end link replaced if that is what part of the sway bar assembly is broken
Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are we talking bent or "warped?"

i had a similar - albeit, slightly more hardcore - adventure when i took my v6 camaro sliding sideways into a tree (40mph, hydroplaned on a puddle on unlit highway ramp). i did manage to jump a curb while sliding sideways and it broke the spindle as well as the brake caliper bracket.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn. That must have been an experience
Old 02-19-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
are we talking bent or "warped?"

i had a similar - albeit, slightly more hardcore - adventure when i took my v6 camaro sliding sideways into a tree (40mph, hydroplaned on a puddle on unlit highway ramp). i did manage to jump a curb while sliding sideways and it broke the spindle as well as the brake caliper bracket.

Dude, I was going 140 and spun out and off the road while trying to sling-shot a tanker semi truck. So yea thats quite hardcore. Did I mention it was 3 am with the tops out and sunglasses on? Well ok so thats pretty stupid Ill admit. I probally should be dead. The funny part was waking up the next day to my car in the backyard, tops still out, inside filled with dirt, ground effects hanging off, tire flat, and my dusty *** sunglasses sitting on the sail pannel from where I didnt take them off until I got out of the car.

But yea, Id say bent? It catches only every so often. So bad it feels like its bouncing when I break hard or break going down hill.

Last edited by 1998Z28LOADED; 02-19-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: better reply
Old 02-19-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

rotors are cast iron; right? I don't think cast iron bends, it just breaks.

warping, however, is possible when a cast iron is heated.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

I just checked the tierod end and the rubber around it is cracked, this has gotta be whats throwing everything off right?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by mitchntx; 02-19-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Edited because I feel sorry for the author
Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow..

sounds like you should try to put it back together and have a body shop (one of the fully equipped ones with laser alignment) give you a quote WITHOUT TEARING IT DOWN.
hopefully all they'll find is a few bent/broken suspension parts.
tell them you need to come back when you get paid or something and have them print you the detailed estimate. take that list to the junkyard. you need to find out if the body is tweaked. i knew a guy with a firebird who did something similar. he sunk a bit into it and never got it to ride properly (alignment problems).
Old 02-20-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
wow..

sounds like you should try to put it back together and have a body shop (one of the fully equipped ones with laser alignment) give you a quote WITHOUT TEARING IT DOWN.
hopefully all they'll find is a few bent/broken suspension parts.
tell them you need to come back when you get paid or something and have them print you the detailed estimate. take that list to the junkyard. you need to find out if the body is tweaked. i knew a guy with a firebird who did something similar. he sunk a bit into it and never got it to ride properly (alignment problems).
good idea
Old 02-20-2008, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

where u by any chance playing that ps2 while driving 140
Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99DWPTA
where u by any chance playing that ps2 while driving 140
LOL, no I was just being an idiot, the ole lady can get enough speed. She's always yelling ''faster-faster''.