Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

replacing the stock power rack...where should I get one

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing the stock power rack...where should I get one

To make a long story short, I wrecked the Z28 back in November. I spun her into a ditch at 65, blew the shocks and finished off the clutch. Did a 360+++ (not sure) pulling off the interstate in the rain, my rear ran into a concrete drainage ditch and spun the front end around. Luckily there was absolutely zero body damage, and all the problems are coming from the suspension. Since my tax return is on its way, I decided it was time to check out all the damage underneath.

I have only driven the car 3 times since then.

She has been handling very strange, kind of floating and being tossed around the road by very very small bumps, divits and what not. It feels very bad, not like she used to and the way it should. It feels very dangerous and ustable even at 40mph. I put itup on a lift tonight and notice that the tie rod and tie rod end, on the passenger side of the rack, are bent and not looking very healthy. The drivers side seems fine. Nothing is leaking, and truthfully I missed it but my brother caught it.

I am getting it inspected by a shop that I trust, and hopefully they can estimate the full damage for me. Is that rod and end capable of being removed from the rack and replaced? Where could I get a new rack on the cheap? I would much rather replace that then the entire rack if I can get away with it. Any ideas or insight?

Thanks
Fry
Old 02-19-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sway bar bushings, tie rod ends, and pan hard bar...seems like these might be part of your problems...
Old 02-20-2008, 05:30 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/misc/TieRod.jpg
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/misc/TieRodInstall.jpg

These come with a full rack n pinion kit from BMR, but I know you can replace tie rods alone, I've had to in the past.
Check your sway bar + bushings also. I recommend speaking with Lee at BMR - 813-986-9302
Old 02-20-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

the panhard bar looked ok, but the sway bar bushings will be checked out when I have the shop inspect it. I guess the tie rods and tie rod ends should be replaced on both sides of the rack if the rack itself does not need replaced. It sure would be an easier job.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it stick, or click?...tie rods can be a bitch to break from the rack or they can be easy...just depends...

does the *** end float around or the front end?...if its the ***, id say the panhard still...could be twisted or loosened

Quick Reply: replacing the stock power rack...where should I get one